name/brand distribution

M

Mcanada

Jurisdiction
Manitoba
Hello,

i run an online MMA promotion site where we promote and interview upcoming fighters and we recently started to sell shirts on behalf of one of our promoted fighters. Basically we made a fast simple verbal "handshake" type agreement that i would design, print and distribute these custom T-shirts that would feature the fighters name on it and that we would split all profits 50/50. All shirts and products will be sold in my online shop on our site so my question is from a legal stand point if some kind of falling out were to take place down the road who "owns" the T-shirt rights? Do celebrities/athletes have automatic copyright control over their stage names and its use? Or would i maintain full control over the shirt distribution?

Thanks!

Hello,

i run an online MMA promotion site where we promote and interview upcoming fighters and we recently started to sell shirts on behalf of one of our promoted fighters. Basically we made a fast simple verbal "handshake" type agreement that i would design, print and distribute these custom T-shirts that would feature the fighters name on it and that we would split all profits 50/50. All shirts and products will be sold in my online shop on our site so my question is from a legal stand point if some kind of falling out were to take place down the road who "owns" the T-shirt rights? Do celebrities/athletes have automatic copyright control over their stage names and its use? Or would i maintain full control over the shirt distribution?

Thanks!

If you were in the USA, the courts tend to side with the person who's likeness is depicted on the T-Shirt.

As far as Canada, I suggest you see a solicitor and get a contract drafted and signed. That could prove very helpful and useful, when things go bad.

If any deal has the potential to be lucrative, a contract is required.

Thanks for the feedback! The fighter is actually located in the state of California even though our distribution in based in here Canada. Which im sure only complicates matters even more so lol

Thanks for the feedback! The fighter is actually located in the state of California even though our distribution in based in here Canada. Which im sure only complicates matters even more so lol

Right you are, because international laws tend to side with the celebrity or person depicted, too.

Back