Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks My wife's embezzlement

L

Lindagow

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My wife started embezzling funds from her employer in 2010. In 2011 she told me what she had done. After a while she told me she had stopped yet she still continued to steal. In 2014 we separated and I filed for divorce. She immediately cleaned out our bank account and her 401k. She informed her employer about the stolen money (aabout $625,000) and he has filed a civil suit against her and I saying that I benefitted from her embezzlement. She informed the boss that I made her take the money. She still works for this man and says that he has reduced her salary by $100,000 to pay back the stolen funds. Funny thing is when her boss was divorcing his wife in 2010 she told me she hid money from his wife. Her boss also reduced his salary during his divorce. I am financially ruined yet she has a new $450,000 home and a new car. There's no way she can afford this on her reduced salary. I'm sure her boss is afraid to fire her as she can rat on him. What are my chances of beating the civil suit?

What are my chances of beating the civil suit?

Never listen to the other party, or the other party's attorney.
Never communicate with a former spouse.
Don't tell anyone what your former spouse told you, because it could potentially implicate you in a myriad of rotten things.

Virginia is NOT a community property state, and even if it were, a spouse isn't liable for the illegal acts of the other spouse.

Now you know why you shouldn't reveal anything your spouse may have told you.

For the rest of your life, erase your former spouse and anything that may have revealed to you.

As far as THIS lawsuit, hard to say.

If you haven't been blabbing to anyone, about anything, your chances of prevailing would be about 90-100%.

I also suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

If you have one, STOP yammering and be patient.

If you don't have one, retain one, and then STOP yammering.

Most things we hear or learn in life are best not repeated, not to save or protect miscreants, but to preserve our own hides.

It is a bit troubling that you apparently learned what was happening and it continued with your knowledge for some time. That said, there would have to be evidence of some sort that you benefited somehow.
I don't see the employer having much success against you. Anything that could potentially be used against you would certainly weigh more heavily against your wife.

Criminally, you could very well still be charged as you knew about the crime and were complicit. Why on earth you didn't act in 2011 is beyond me, but I would not expect much sympathy in court.

Unless her boss was also embezzling, what he did isn't illegal and there is no reason for him to fear your wife- who has zero credibility.

It's been 3 years already... apparently the employer is not interested in pursuing criminal charges. Having already made repayment arrangements with the wife it seems it is reduced to civil options at this point.

More than likely OP's former spouse is behind the lawsuit, is my guess, to reduce her financial pain.

Back