My Vehicle Title/Registration/Sale/Ticket 2-yr crazy mistaken Debacle

fbowen

Jurisdiction
Texas
Well - Right up-front I'm going to tell you the mistakes I made before I tell you the situation...
I don't want ANY CHANCE of mistrust here.
And full-disclosure - I ALREADY KNOW the mistakes I made were utterly foolish - but hopefully, this is a live-and-learn situation for me - and I have prayed about this already as well - so... ... yeah. I know I was NOT THINKING in this situation.

My Mistakes -
1. I filed after the 30 day limitation (I had no idea the title was not already transferred) and ...
2. I didn't remember to write down the name of the man I sold the truck to.

) :

- here is the situation.

1. On June 1, 2017, I sold my truck to a man who said he was going to put a new motor in it. He assured me multiple times of this.
2. The truck was a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. It had been in the shop multiple times. (I found out too late that it was a recall - the statute of limitations had already passed.)
.3. The man bought the truck off of the mechanic's lot where it had been worked on - It was my truck and I sold it to him for a $1,000.00.
4. I had placed the truck (with pics) on the Facebook Marketplace - The man saw the ad and contacted me.
5. He came to see the truck at the Auto-Mechanic shop.
6. In front of the mechanic staff there, he PAID me a Grand (cash) for the truck - June 1st, 2017.
7. The next day, I dropped the insurance I had on it through Geico, and bought insurance for another vehicle I was purchasing to replace the truck I sold to him.
8. On October 3rd of 2017 I received a letter (parking violation) stating that the Truck was found parked...AT THE TEXAS CAPITAL COMPLEX!! (caps for emphasis - I'm not angry - the letter shocked me)(but it gets worse).
9. In a letter dated Oct. 10, 2017 I received another letter (citation) stating there was a "traffic violation on campus" - UT campus! So - the truck had perhaps been moved to the UT campus? I'm not sure.
10. On Oct. 30th, 2017, I received a collection letter from Indianapolis, IN about the truck stating the Citation Date was August 21, 2017
11. I sent an explanation letter stating that the truck had been sold on June 1st, 2017 - and I did not own the truck.
12. In November of 2017 I went to the Austin, TX DMV on Parmer Street to check into the whole thing and get a form stating the date of Transfer was June 1st or 2017. I did get that - and I have that now. The lady who transferred it also stamped it (at the top) as being received on Nov. 27, 2017.
13. But this transfer notice did not deter anyone - all accept for the DMV workers in Austin, Round Rock, Georgetown, and Cedar Park, Texas where I have been going for 2 years to get advice about this situation. They have all told me that the vehicle has been listed transferred on June 1, 2017. That I do not own the vehicle anymore.
14. On Jan. 3, 2018 I received another Citation update notice. And another one on Feb. 16th, 2018, and another one on April 9th, 2018.
15. All this time I was going to DMVs and asking them if the truck even still belonged to me. They always said NO - All of them! One of them even typed out a letter for me to send to the Parking Authorities.
16. I sent the letter on May 15th, 2018 - stating I did not own the vehicle.
17. April 4, 2019 (nearly a year later) - I received another letter about the Citation.
18. June 6th, 2019 I sent another letter with Documents stating I did not own the vehicle. One of those documents (that I got from the DMV) stated the truck had been Salvaged on December of 2017. It also stated the following - "Date of assignment August 18 of 2014; ("2014" - This is confusing to me). Vehicle Transferred on June 1, 2017. Paper Title."
19. Received another letter - June 17, 2019 - about the Citation. This letter also states the following - "Payment will be processed upon receipt and must be paid in U.S. dollars. Due to other charges, the amount due on the day you pay may be greater. If you pay the amount shown on this notice an adjustment may be necessary."

So...
* If I pay this amount - Does that say I own the vehicle? (When in fact I do not own it).
* If I pay this amount - Does that make the Transfer form I have Null-and-Void?
* If I pay this amount - Will they want to charge me on and on and on and on throughout eternity?
* Is this a shake-down? Cause it feels like it.
* Is the Transfer document I received from the DMV valid At All? Or is it just a farce?

The man who bought the truck from me did so in front of the Auto-mechanic staff - Arnold Automotive in Round Rock, TX. on June 1st, of 2017.

* If I pay this amount - Does that say I own the vehicle? (When in fact I do not own it)

No.

* If I pay this amount - Does that make the Transfer form I have Null-and-Void?

No.

* If I pay this amount - Will they want to charge me on and on and on and on throughout eternity?

No.

* Is this a shake-down? Cause it feels like it.

No.

* Is the Transfer document I received from the DMV valid At All?

Yes.

Your problem, as you acknowledged at the beginning, is that you did not notify the state of the transfer in a timely manner. At the time of the citations you were listed as the owner of the vehicle and your name would remain attached even though months later you transferred the title and got it back dated.

If you pay the citation in full it will go away. It is possible interest may accrue between the time you send payment and it is received, so you could receive a follow up bill for a small amount.

They can not get any money from you otherwise without going to court. If you were to go to court you could produce a DMV document showing the transfer date effective before the citations were issued. It could be possible that presenting that document in court could get the matter dismissed (although you would not want to divulge this full story you provided here). Keep it simple and explain you are not responsible because the vehicle was sold prior to the citation as shown in the document, but never registered by the buyer.

Meanwhile, every time you receive a letter reply to it in writing and deny responsibility.

If you choose this route the amount they seek to collect will continue to increase, so you could end up paying more if the court decides against you.

Your document that you filed with the state was received after the citation was issued - it doesn't matter what date you wrote on the form, as that will be seen as a ploy to avoid paying the ticket. You SHOULD have paid the ticket long ago...this is a problem of your own creation that has grown because of your inaction.

The man who bought the truck from me did so in front of the Auto-mechanic staff - Arnold Automotive in Round Rock, TX. on June 1st, of 2017.

You didn't happen to get a bill of sale signed by you and the buyer, did you?

Will anybody who witnessed the transaction be willing to go to court for you and testify in person? Written statements don't count in court.

All good answers - very helpful.
Thanks.

I was inactive because the DMVs told me over and over that I did not have to pay the fine.
But I do understand what you are all saying here.

Again - thank you. And I will report back with further outcome.

You didn't happen to get a bill of sale signed by you and the buyer, did you?

Will anybody who witnessed the transaction be willing to go to court for you and testify in person? Written statements don't count in court.

They might - I have plans to ask them.

Meanwhile - I had absolutely planned to PAY this damn-bill - that is, ALL UNTIL I WENT TO THE DMV again - Where suddenly they're telling me Again - (and again and again) - that I am NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE for this ticket.

In addition they gave me a certified document - the "Certified Motor Vehicle Record Request Response" - which states "Evidence Surr. by Salvage Yard - Texas Title Slvg. Yard 731 Salvaged 12/7/18 - Vehicle Transferred: 6/1/17 - Paper Title Date of Assignment: 8/18/14

I'm not angry - Just Extremely confused BY. THIS. WHOLE. THING!!

I (again) - had intended to take All of Your Advises HERE - and PAY the bill.
I Went to the DMV to Ask Them if my original Transfer Notification was Null-and-Void - and they told me what everyone HERE told me - No, it was Not.

THEN they told me (Again!) I was Not responsible for the ticket. (See my response to adjusterjack above).

I have had EVERY DMV across Austin tell me I am not responsible. I've been to the Austin DMV multiple times. Then just to get advice I ALSO went to the DMVs in Georgetown, Round Rock, and Leander!! And they have ALL told me - No, I am not responsible for the Ticket.

I will pay the ticket ANYWAY - if I am NOT GOING TO BE ASKED TO PAY MORE AND MORE AND MORE - AND SALVAGE COSTS - AND HANDLING COSTS - AND ON AND ON AND ON. I just feel in my gut that this is never going away. That vehicle was found at the (1) Capital Complex, then later (2) at the UT Parking area (How on Earth it GOT to those places - I do not know!!)

If you choose, hold on to that document and present it in court If some day someone drags you in there over the citation.
Otherwise pay it in full and it will go away.
Personally, I prefer to keep my hard earned money in my pocket. I don't pay what I don't owe... But if it gives you peace of mind you might feel it is worth it.

If you choose, hold on to that document and present it in court If some day someone drags you in there over the citation.
Otherwise pay it in full and it will go away.
Personally, I prefer to keep my hard earned money in my pocket. I don't pay what I don't owe... But if it gives you peace of mind you might feel it is worth it.
MIghtyMoose - Yes - Thank you - It would give me HUGE!!!!!!!!! peace of mind to Pay it - and Leave it BE!! I have just finished writing a letter - trying One More Time with this. Telling these people I do NOT OWE this - (First of all because Every DMV I Go to tells me I don't have to pay it).

Also including the New Form for them ("them" = Municipal Services Bureau where the citation lives - "lives").
(New Form = "Certified Motor Vehicle Record Request Response" - as noted above.)

... anyway -
yeah -
I'm frankly - Exhausted with this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you will likely continue to hear from the collection agency. It might be a few months or a year, but they will keep sending occasional letters hoping to make a few bucks.
Do yourself a favor of you do decide to pay- contact them and make a low offer to settle for less and get the agreement in writing. If that doesn't work at least get them to quote you a payoff amount in writing so they don't keep coming back for more.

Personally, I would play dead.

Back