My Son Got a Ticket for Reckless Driving

Gorhad

Hi

Saturday night my son was driving home along the US1 and decided to act like an idiot when another vehicle came up alongside and they began to race. We had just had a major down pour of rain, the first in many days so the road surface was extremely slippy (Florida ice). He lost control of the car spun out and hit a Florida Light & Power, light Pole, smashing it to the ground completely and also completely totaling the car. To be honest it's a miracle he got out with only cuts and bruises. It could have quite easily been a fatal accident.

He was taken to the local ER by the Paramedics etc and the investigating police officer wrote him a ticket for reckless driving Florida statue 316.192 (1) (2)

His court appearance date is set for May 11th 2015

He also was given a ticket for Open container Florida Statute 316.1936 (2)

The actual container wasn't his, he had dropped a friend off who left it in the car.

My son wasn't breatherlised or blood drawn for a possible DUI at all

The officer indicated he would probably be suspended from driving until he is 21, he is now 19 and turns 20, Nov 11th 2015

As parents we have never been in this situation so we are very worried as to what the outcome from the judge on the court hearing day could be as I have read it could be a punishable by jail time as well as a hefty fine

My question what realistically could we expect as parents, License suspended until 21 yrs of age, $$$$ Fine, Jail time or all and any of the above

This is his first "criminal traffic or criminal offence in general" he has other tickets which were some time ago and completed the online course for them which was a speeding ticket and then last year he got a ticket due to his License plate had a smoked acrylic cover over it and so it wasn't clearly visible

Thanks in advance

Hi

Saturday night my son was driving home along the US1 and decided to act like an idiot when another vehicle came up alongside and they began to race. We had just had a major down pour of rain, the first in many days so the road surface was extremely slippy (Florida ice). He lost control of the car spun out and hit a Florida Light & Power, light Pole, smashing it to the ground completely and also completely totaling the car. To be honest it's a miracle he got out with only cuts and bruises. It could have quite easily been a fatal accident.

He was taken to the local ER by the Paramedics etc and the investigating police officer wrote him a ticket for reckless driving Florida statue 316.192 (1) (2)

His court appearance date is set for May 11th 2015

He also was given a ticket for Open container Florida Statute 316.1936 (2)

The actual container wasn't his, he had dropped a friend off who left it in the car.

My son wasn't breatherlised or blood drawn for a possible DUI at all

The officer indicated he would probably be suspended from driving until he is 21, he is now 19 and turns 20, Nov 11th 2015

As parents we have never been in this situation so we are very worried as to what the outcome from the judge on the court hearing day could be as I have read it could be a punishable by jail time as well as a hefty fine

My question what realistically could we expect as parents, License suspended until 21 yrs of age, $$$$ Fine, Jail time or all and any of the above

This is his first "criminal traffic or criminal offence in general" he has other tickets which were some time ago and completed the online course for them which was a speeding ticket and then last year he got a ticket due to his License plate had a smoked acrylic cover over it and so it wasn't clearly visible

Thanks in advance

The kid's troubles are far too complex and the penalties too stringent for any online forum to be of much value to him.

You should take your son and your checkbook and hire him an attorney.
As far as I know, the license revocation is mandatory, because of the alcohol container and/or the reckless charge.
A good traffic law attorney MIGHT be able to get the reckless plead down to a lesser offense, but that still leaves the alcohol container.
If Florida is anything like Texas, anyone under the age of 21 found to be in possession of an empty, discarded, beer can will be charged.
Texas purports a zero tolerance policy, insofar as minors and alcohol.
The one exception is if the alcohol is consumed in the presence and with the approval of a parent, or an adult spouse (as in 21 years of age, or older).

A lawyer is the only hope on earth for the kid.

In New York, Reckless Driving is a misdemeanor criminal ticket, that we frequently plead down to a lesser charge. He also has an open container ticket issued during the same stop. Once again, a misdemeanor criminal ticket in New York. That said, I would retain an attorney to represent your son. An attorney will get you the best possible outcome. You were right, we can all be happy that he was not seriously injured. Get an experienced attorney in Florida to start working for you.

Back