My rights being sued by a hospital??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoeluv26

I live in Alabama, U.S.A

I went to the hospital in Oct. 07. I should have had insurance then but my job messed that up so I originally wasn't covered. The insurance company finally paid their part on Apr 17th. Which left me $1200. to pay. I contacted the hospital several months ago about setting up payments. They said they WOULD NOT accept any payments under $100. a month. I told them I couldn't pay that much. They told me again they wouldn't accept it. I was served with papers on Sunday for small claims court. By law is it legal for them to not take any payment I can make even if it's not what they want? I never sent a payment because of what they told me. Now I'm being told by peers I should have sent anything. So I was given less than 3 mths to pay this bill and they are taking me to court. Does this make sense? What are my legal rights???

Thanks,
Erica

If you owe a bill of $1,000 due on Oct 1, if you can't pay it then it only makes sense that they can sue you for whatever the balance, plus interest. Paying $40 by October 1 doesn't change the fact that you'll owe $960 plus interest. Most of the time companies will sue just to get a judgement done instead of waiting for the debtor to decide when to pay. I'm sorry but what would you do if you were owed money? Probably the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back