My rights as an only child

Status
Not open for further replies.

STAO123

My mom just passed 8/28/08 and I am her only child, I have a step dad who has been horrible to me. Wouldn't let me help with mom's funeral, won't let me come over to their house that mom bought with her money but as far as I know it's joint owned. Is keeping all bank accounts hidden, and mom left him to come live with us 6 weeks ago, but didn't get a divorce because he threatned her, and she told me I have a $40,000 annuity in my name and yours if I pass and it's in a safe deposit box and the key is in this filing cabinet, but she never got the chance to give me the key now he has my annuity, should I ask him for it? It's in her's and my name, mother wouldn't have just told me that, and they have at least $300,000 in CD'S and other accounts. What about mom's personal things? He wont let me into the house and keeps telling me I'll burn everything befour I give it to you?Thank you and God Bless.

Go down to the probate court and start probate. Take an original of the death certificate and your birth certificate and file to be named the personal representative. He will probably contest so any evidence you can collect about the threats to your our your Mom will be helpful.

You can check at the courthouse while you are there to see how the house is titled. If it is not right of survivorship you will have a claim to a portion. Do you know if she had a will, possibly in the safe deposit box? You can ask the court to order it opened and an inventory made of the contents but you need to know the location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back