My property

MELINDA ROGERS

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
My x had the locks changed on our storage unit. Its in his name...he didnt tell me this and he wont give me a key..how do i get my stuff

My x had the locks changed on our storage unit. Its in his name...he didnt tell me this and he wont give me a key..how do i get my stuff

You can start by sending him a letter via certified mail or registered mail.
In the letter you politely request he arrange a time to meet with you at the storage location to allow you to retrieve your stuff.
You give him a ten day window in which to arrange the time for you to get your stuff.

Some people get the local police to stand by and keep the peace for 14-20 minutes while a person retrieves SOME of their junk. That isn't done without a court order in every jurisdiction.

Should he ignore your request, or refuse it, your only legal option is to take him to court.
If you choose small claims, the only thing a small claims judge can do is award you money, as small claims court judges don't have the power to issue injunctions.
That means you must make sure you can produce proof of ownership (not just I had this and that), but PROOF via receipts or sworn declarations from others for valuable items.
Even then, that might not be enough.
You may never see that stuff again, so the lesson here is STOP trusting people and be self reliant.
Even in marriage people get screwed, and that goes quintuple for those in "relationships".
Why?
The law has no legal remedy such as divorce to dissolve relationships and split up the junk.

Unfortunately these things can happen without realizing it - where you store things like a regular married couple. And then you forget about them. Suddenly, when things begin to go wrong, you realize that what you thought was in a trusted person's name and one who you wouldn't believe would be so petty is a problem. And as army judge said, this can be a real problem. I won't blame you for trusting if this is what happened. As a lawyer, I'm sometimes proactive about these things from hearing many experiences like these.

This is a difficult situation. You would probably benefit by sending your ex a certified letter regarding the storage locker. You should probably try to arrange for a time to obtain your items or for permission to be granted by the storage facility to obtain your items. You might even copy the storage facility to ensure that a third party is on notice that property of a third party that is held in the name of one of their clients is in the facility. While I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, I find that it usually is impacting on parties to stay more honest. It would benefit you to make an inventory of the items too. I can't tell you what to do, don't know anything more than the most basic facts and this is not anything resembling legal advice form a proper legal consultation with an attorney. It is just based upon experience with human nature and a thought on how to minimize your trouble through working out your problems. Best of luck to you.

Back