My parents took almost all of my Bar Mitzvah money against my will to pay for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tootfine

Hi, I'm in need in help of because my parents have taken almost all of the Bar Mitzvah money, given to ME as gifts, to pay for their debts. I was given the few gift cards I received as well as 850 dollars exactly. My parents, however, took over 7,000 dollars at minimum! I need to know if they can legally do that. Any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
--> Robert

If you're a minor, (under the age of18), you're darn tootin' they can do that.

Your parents reign supreme over you, until you reach the age of majority.

The age of majority in the US is 18.

Thanks for your response. I am under the age of 18, however, is that something that you'd expect most parents to do. I feel like they're using me, their own son, to pay their debts. I can understand if they have the right to do something but to me it's a matter of their moral values.

Last edited:
And how do you know what they're using it for? I wouldn't let an under 18 year old keep over $7,000 either, but I'd be putting it in the bank for him towards his future college expenses. Perhaps your parents are doing the same.

Thanks for your response. I am under the age of 18, however, is that something that you'd expect most parents to do. I feel like they're using me, their own son, to pay their debts. I can understand if they have the right to do something but to me it's a matter of their moral values.

I am in no position to judge what YOUR parents do or have done.
By the way, this is a legal forum, not a moral one.
Why not ask them about the money?
I'll bet they tell you what they did with it.

I have tried asking them what they've done with it multiple times, and they give me 1 of 2 responses: 1: "We took it to pay back the money for the Bar Mitzvah. 2: "We're not telling you." I'm assuming that whatever one is true, it's probably not good for me. I think they should at least tell me whether they put money in a college account even if they don't tell me how much, although I'd prefer if they did. You're right, maybe I'll try posting my dilemma on a different site and see the responses I get.

Bottom line is that it isn't your money- it was your parent's money the entire time and they can do what they want with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back