my husband's license is suspended

valerie61

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I recently got married and notified insurance carrier about it. My husband's license is suspended in Virginia due to child support, but now has been meeting is obligations. Unfortunately it is still suspended. I who have always been insured is having insurance canceled but of this. What can I do to stay insured?

Pay off what your husband owes in back child support to get his license reinstated, or take him off the car insurance.

I recently got married and notified insurance carrier about it. My husband's license is suspended in Virginia due to child support, but now has been meeting is obligations. Unfortunately it is still suspended. I who have always been insured is having insurance canceled but of this. What can I do to stay insured?

You could also divorce the bum.

You seem to be a hard working, law abiding person that has somehow gotten hitched to a deadbeat.

Divorce him SOONER, rather than LATER, lest he destroy you, too!!!

If he is on the policy or *could* drive your car, then yes, your insurance can be cancelled for the suspension. If you weren't adding him to the policy, it is unclear why you would report who your spouse is, such that they would know his license is suspended.

If you weren't adding him to the policy, it is unclear why you would report who your spouse is, such that they would know his license is suspended.

Insurance companies require that all members of the household of driving age (licensed or not) be reported to the insurance company as soon as they become members of the household or of driving age. Failure to disclose is a material misrepresentation that can result in cancellation and rescission of a policy along with a denial of any claims.

If you want to know why insurance companies require this just think about all the times you've read about unlicensed or suspended drivers driving somebody's car and getting into an accident.

OP is free to seek a "named driver exclusion" on her policy or, if that's not available, she can seek coverage with an insurance company that specializes in high risk driving households, at much higher rates of course.

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is required that I disclose this information and I was straight-forward about his situation when I moved to VA and got married. At the time they placed him as name only, but my renewal came up and now they tell me that VA won't allow that. They did suggest he see about getting an SR22. This sucks because he has been paying is support payments for years and has recently increased it. I can't believe how badly this could possibly effect me who just recently started a new job.

Thanks for the response. Yes, it is required that I disclose this information and I was straight-forward about his situation when I moved to VA and got married. At the time they placed him as name only, but my renewal came up and now they tell me that VA won't allow that. They did suggest he see about getting an SR22. This sucks because he has been paying is support payments for years and has recently increased it. I can't believe how badly this could possibly effect me who just recently started a new job.

Yes, VA does not permit named driver exclusions.

The main effect this will have on you will be higher insurance rates.

If your current agent can't help you find replacement coverage check with large local independent agents that represent many companies in the standard and non-standard market.

Meantime, see what your husband can do about getting his license reinstated, whatever that takes.

Thanks for your help. Since he does have a payment in effect and has been making regular child support payments, it may just mean he has to initiate the process. He is looking into taking care of it. We have until the middle of next month before cancelation.

Thanks for your help. Since he does have a payment in effect and has been making regular child support payments, it may just mean he has to initiate the process. He is looking into taking care of it. We have until the middle of next month before cancelation.

Well, light a fire under him. There is likely to be processing time with the DMV and with the insurance company.

Meantime, I strongly suggest you start looking at alternative insurance lest you end up on the expiration date with no coverage. You can apply and get qualified without having to actually buy an alternative policy until you actually need it.

It's better to be overly cautious than to bleed from lack of caution.

It is best to consult a lawyer for advice. They will be able to clarify about the insurance and guide you to the next best step.

This thread has been dead for approximately two and a half YEARS. Why would you think the OP is still around just waiting to read your now irrelevant advice?

Back