My high school did not send my transcripts on time or at all and I was not considered for admisson.

N

Natashasaeed

Jurisdiction
Texas
So I am a senior and go to a small private school in the DFW area. I have applied to about 5 schools: University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M, Southern Methodist University, St Edwards University, and University of Texas at Dallas. I told them I want my transcripts sent to these colleges in November. I looked at the status pages for my applications in March, believing that they had sent them like they said all along. Instead I see that the only university that got my transcripts on time was SMU. (that too I had to tell them to resend it because SMU contacted me.) UT at Austin and A&M both did not consider my application at all because they either did not receive my transcripts on time or they never received it at all.

So I am a senior and go to a small private school in the DFW area. I have applied to about 5 schools: University of Texas at Austin, Texas A&M, Southern Methodist University, St Edwards University, and University of Texas at Dallas. I told them I want my transcripts sent to these colleges in November. I looked at the status pages for my applications in March, believing that they had sent them like they said all along. Instead I see that the only university that got my transcripts on time was SMU. (that too I had to tell them to resend it because SMU contacted me.) UT at Austin and A&M both did not consider my application at all because they either did not receive my transcripts on time or they never received it at all.

So, your question is can you sue the school for their alleged delay?

Yes, you can sue anyone for anything (as long as you are an adult, age 18 years of older).
If you aren't yet age 18, you'll have to ask mother or father to bring such a lawsuit on your behalf.

Suing and prevailing are TWO completely different topics, mate.
Such a lawsuit (suing your high school) because your transcripts weren't sent or were delayed is a DOA lawsuit, but any adult would certainly be allowed to initiate such a lawsuit.

Have you asked the registrar (or the proper official) at your school why the transcripts were delayed?

My wife is the principal of a public high school.

The school is not allowed (by order of the board of trustees) to send transcripts if the student owes fees, lost book charges, etc...

However, as principal, my wife can override the board's mandate.

If any student asks her, she readily agrees and the transcript(s) are sent.
I think the transcripts cost $2.00 to send.
If the kid says his family can't afford it, she overrides the fees, too.
She has even paid the fees for students.

Have you spoke to your headmaster or headmistress?

She even writes a letter to the university if her school has caused the delay.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

It is your responsibility to make sure transcripts are sent.
Welcome to adulthood.
You apparently waited four months to see if the job was done. Had you looked into it in a more reasonable time period after making the request you would not have the situation.

Yep, you are responsible for following up on this and making sure you followed the proper procedure for requesting transcripts.

Why didn't you check on this between November and March? It's your education. Your future. Not the school's. You have to be responsible and keep track of this.

Back