Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft my friend got caught shoplifting , what about me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airmaxwong

me and a group of friends went to a store name and were trying to take stuff. my friend got caught and was interogated by the security.the store staff just called his mom and they left. he was banned from the store. me and my friends had no charges however, my other friend didnt get caught taking his stuff.

will the store want to find out if we took stuff?
will they call my friend who got caught to find information about us?
will i get caught just for being with them?

This is a tricky situation. Most department stores will have cameras and they can review the footage of your friends incident. Now if these cameras caught your friends acts, yes the friend that was caught can be notified by the police and they can obtain information of all parties involved. That includes yours. There fact that you were there means that you can be charged with a Theft Scheme.

PM me with the name of the store you were caught at and city and I can give further advice as far as how I feel they will proceed.

My initial thought is that you are clear. Do not hang out with people that steal as it can cause a lot of trouble.

Once the event is over there is no real reason to review any video footage (if any) so i agree there is slim chance you will be caught and contacted by Police. I also agree you need to choose new friends

btw,
do you think the store name would go through all the trouble to contact the police and contact the school to interrogate us during school hours?
at the store, how long do you think they keep recorded video feed on camera?
will they just delete it daily or will it be there forever?

Police will contact you when they wish but probably at home. Far as how long stores retain video it varies based on many factors however since the video(s) contain an actual incident they will be saved and archived for years

^and even though my friend got caught and got banned as a consequence, will the staff still look back to see if my friends and i were doing anything else?

^^sorry for all the questions...

The lp may look at the video when they are writing the report to get accurate times and descriptions. They may discover the thefts. If so they can call the police.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. If your friend has any questions, please have him post here.

Most LP departments want reports in and completed in three days so that they can start the civil demand process. There are way too many factors that are in play here. The company you were at has an aggressive LP dept.

If you are concerned send a letter without your information to the store with the money to pay for the item. It will clear your conscious and the store will appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back