My first name is incorrect on my Social Security card

Status
Not open for further replies.

AG123

I was born in Poland and came here when I was 11 years old. I was issued a social security card when I arrived but the first name on the card was misspelled. My name however is correct on the following documents: the foreign birth certificate, original Polish Passport, new US Passport after I obtained my citizenship through my parents as a minor, DMV license, and pretty much any and all other documents I ever had. In fact, I never realized that my name was incorrect on the Social Security card until a day ago when I was trying to change my name as a result of marriage. I guess I never really paid attention to the name on the social security card and maybe because the card was stacked away with my parents and I had the number memorized. I don't really recall ever needing to show my physical card to anyone; maybe when I was applying to college, but the discrepancy was never detected.

I would hope that this is something I change with the social security agency since they made the error, but when I went there, the clerk told me that I may have to change the name in the civil court. Can you please confirm what would be the easiest way to correct my name?

I was born in Poland and came here when I was 11 years old. I was issued a social security card when I arrived but the first name on the card was misspelled. My name however is correct on the following documents: the foreign birth certificate, original Polish Passport, new US Passport after I obtained my citizenship through my parents as a minor, DMV license, and pretty much any and all other documents I ever had. In fact, I never realized that my name was incorrect on the Social Security card until a day ago when I was trying to change my name as a result of marriage. I guess I never really paid attention to the name on the social security card and maybe because the card was stacked away with my parents and I had the number memorized. I don't really recall ever needing to show my physical card to anyone; maybe when I was applying to college, but the discrepancy was never detected.

I would hope that this is something I change with the social security agency since they made the error, but when I went there, the clerk told me that I may have to change the name in the civil court. Can you please confirm what would be the easiest way to correct my name?

It would appear you possess a valid US Passport.
You might return to SS Office with that passport in hand and inquire if your passport and drivers license are sufficient documentation to authorize the correction of your misspelled first name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back