My father recently passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenwright71

My father recently passed away in Nov, he left no will and supposedly left the only assest he had (his one bedroom mobile home) to his ex-girlfriend. The hospital is now sending me the bills in my name for payment. What should I do?

Tell the hospital to stop bothering you.

Really I am not legally responsible for his bills?

Not unless you agreed to be responsible for his bills and not if you are not getting any assets out of his estate.

(It may take four or five years for the collections folks to realize they have a dead fish on their hook.)

I know I am not getting any assets from the estate because he only got Social Security and his pension from the military neither of which transfers to dependents. The house as I said he gave to his ex-girlfriend. When he was admitted to the hosptial I signed his admit paperwork but I did not sign a guarantee of payment and he had insurance at the time of his admittance. There was no power of attorney, no will, no conservatorship, nothing of the sort. I requested copies of the paperwork but they will not send them to me. Can they tag me on my credit for this? Thank you so much for your replies

Q: Can they tag me on my credit for this?

A: They shouldn't but if they do, you may have a pretty good lawsuit.

BUT better take a look at that admission thingie you signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back