My employer is requiring me and my staff to be interrogated by the Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallcreek

I am a department head for a municipality. Two of my employees and I were at a local establishment after hours unwinding from the day. One of these employees is male and the other female. The two of them are dating.

While at the establishment, we notice one of our city councilmember's walk in and sit down at the bar. After some time the female employee walked over to the councilmember to discuss some work related issues, as well as general conversation. My male employee and I sat at our table and continued our conversation. The female employee returned to our table after a short period apparently crying as a result of her conversation with the councilmember. We asked her if he had offended her, but she did not wish to talk about it, and stated she was just having a bad day. I left the table and went to the restroom. Her boyfriend, my male employee went over to the councilmember to ask him what happened. When I came back I could see the two of them talking. Their discussion developed into an argument, and the Police were called to separate them. I was unaware of this as well as my female employee until the Police arrived.

The situation never progressed passed raised voices and no threats were made. Everything was quickly defused and my male employee returned to our table explaining that he argued with the councilmember over the treatment of his girlfriend. Not any subjects specific to work. The police left without any further concerns. I brushed off the incident as a bad night for the two of them, and went home.

The next day at work, I was called into my supervisor's office and advised that the councilmember had contacted the Town attorney and demanded that we all be reprimanded in writing for our actions. Again this was an argument that my male staff member had with the councilmember over the treatment of his girlfriend well after working hours.

The councilmember has insisted that this is an issue that must be handled by our employer. Our employer, at the demands of this councilmember, has required all of us to undergo interviews with our police department investigators to determine if this is a situation that calls for disciplinary action. The results of the interrogation will be turned over to Human Resources and become part of our files. We are not aware of the complaint against us, or the claims of the councilmember. We were told that this is the way the municipality has to handle this.

Why should our employer be involved with an argument over a person's girlfriend after hours, at a bar? Should we go through with the interviews? If we do not, we will probably all loose our jobs.

Why should our employer be involved with an argument over a person's girlfriend after hours, at a bar? They probably shouldn't and wouldn't be if the councilman wasn't making a huge deal out of this and probably turned the whole situation into a political hot potato. I'd guess the police don't want to be involved either as it sure doesn't sound like anything criminal took place.

Should we go through with the interviews? If we do not, we will probably all loose our jobs. I'd guess your assessment is correct. This is up to you of course but if it were me, I'd have my ten minute meeting with the police and then be done with it. I expect they're not happy about having to waste their time either on a stupid situation like this.

P.S. Next time the council member is up for election, don't vote for him. He sounds like a petty tyrant.

The situations stinks, no doubt. How can I protect myself and my staff as it relates to the line of questioning? Is the councilmember empowered with the right to utilize city resources to resolve his personal frustrations?

How can I protect myself and my staff as it relates to the line of questioning? I suppose you can ask to have a your own attorney present when being questioned by the police. I can't advise you on whether they have to allow you to do so however since we're getting into the area of criminal law, not employment issues.

Is the councilmember empowered with the right to utilize city resources to resolve his personal frustrations? No but that doesn't mean he's not going to try to do so. The question is who is going to stop him? You might have a word with the president of the city council and/or the city attorney and see what they think. This councilman apparently likes to throw his weight around (big fish in a little pond so to speak) if he can.

I can't imagine that the police and the city attorney aren't rolling their eyes at the big fuss this guy is making.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back