my daughter father is on ssi, owes back support

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkirose

My daughters father stopped paying child support years ago, child support said they couldn't enforce because he had pending ssi application? Don't understand. Anyway, he owes aprox $8,000. Apparently a few months after she turned 18, he was approved. Child support closed the case because they said there was nothing they could do to collect. Shortly after he was approved, he stopped at my house (hadn't seen or heard from him in years) and said he had a large sum of money to give my daughter and said he had to give it to her in a certain amount of time or it had to be returned back to the government, and he said he had to give it to her because she was now 18....totally have no idea what he meant.
Anyway my question is, is there a way I can still collect what ghetto owes me? From social security? And even though my daughter is over 18? He still owes from many years of not paying before she was 18.

SSI recipients cannot have their monthly SSI disability benefits seized, or any past due SSI benefits (backpay) seized to pay child support arrears.

SSI is the abbreviation for Supplemental Security Income, a needs-based program for low-income and low-resource disabled people.

Agree; if it is SSI, it can't be taken to pay child support (SSDI can).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back