My dad molested his siblings 30+yrs ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrydawtah

I have a question. I just found out my 73 yr old demented father sexually molested his younger siblings. This allegedly happened over 30 years ago in El Salvador. Of course I'm sickened by his actions as I do not know my father to be that way. He never did anything to me like that ever!!! His siblings are seeking lawyers to file a suit against him. He is now a citizen of the USA and had been for 15+ years. He has been in the USA for 30 or more years. Can they achieve what they're trying to do from El Salvador here. Does el salvadoran law have bearing in the USA? He is ill with dementia and possibly doesn't remember he did those awful things. What can they do? Thank you

It will all have to take place in El Salvador.
30 years later, demented, and living in another country... it seems best to forget about any legal action. Counseling for the siblings if necessary.

I have a question. I just found out my 73 yr old demented father sexually molested his younger siblings. This allegedly happened over 30 years ago in El Salvador. Of course I'm sickened by his actions as I do not know my father to be that way. He never did anything to me like that ever!!! His siblings are seeking lawyers to file a suit against him. He is now a citizen of the USA and had been for 15+ years. He has been in the USA for 30 or more years. Can they achieve what they're trying to do from El Salvador here. Does el salvadoran law have bearing in the USA? He is ill with dementia and possibly doesn't remember he did those awful things. What can they do? Thank you

As MightyMoose said, the chances of a successful suit are slim to none - and slim just left the building.

Even if such a suit was possible, he has dementia - and it's nigh on impossible to prosecute someone who cannot understand the charges to any great degree.

It's time to let go.

I feel the same way. For many years said aunt treated me and my children like crap and I never quite understood her hatred against me or my dad. However she would always take his money with no problem and actually my dad would give her his monthly pension and I'd always wonder why. Well out of the blue my uncle who has been a drug addict for a long time in El Salvador revealed it to my aunt who now resides here in the us. I'm in turmoil now as this revelation goes against my moral judgement. I feel awful about it since I'm my fathers caregiver it puts me in an odd predicament that I must conquer. He has always cared for me and been my primary parent And my experience was not even close to that. Anyhow what ever they're trying to do will have a great affect on my children. But seeing that its very slim I'm just afraid of their things they may do. I never could understand the victim and why they sometimes wait so long to reveal their victimizer. I too am a victim of sexual abuse, but I revealed it much sooner. So I can't imagine being 60 and just now revealing this atrocity as an explanation to why I'm a drug addict .thank you for listening and for the legal advice.

This isn't legal information - it's just a bit of experience coming through, okay?

Don't allow toxic people into yours, or his, life. If they're adamant about pursuing this, let them waste their time and money. I cannot see ANYTHING positive coming from this, either for you, your father OR the siblings.

Even if your father is guilty of molestation, he is currently in need of your help. The last thing you both need is to be dealing with lawsuits. I'm not saying it's okay to "get away" with molestation, but given the back story I just cannot see anything good coming from it.

Be strong. If it turns out that you have to cut contact with the siblings, that will be sad...but it might become necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back