My dad died intestate

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelmila

I have a series of questions I hope someone can help me with.
I currently live in NC my father died intestate in Phila pa in 2006. My sister told me my dad left everything to his the fiance via will which I was fine with because I received a nice insurance claim he had set up. Low and behold I find out in July of this year that there was no will and my sister was trying to take the estate for herself, threw dads fiance in the street and applied for administrator over estate.
Just this week I receive an accounting of dads estate which first off is padded with bills that I found many to be fake and more importantly most of his assets are missing such as his SUV, a refund from escrow account when house was sold for 2,000 and three bank accounts one of which I know had around 100,000 thing is he added her to that account to pay his bills when he got sick in 02.
Can she legally close all his accounts and sell all his property the way she has?More importantly should all the true bills to be paid should they not have come out of dads bank accounts instead of her trying to charge the estate?
Thank you for all who can help, I truly need it.

Get an estates lawyer ASAP. Check if any of the expenses she claimed as administrator are illegitimate, and if so, sue for repayment and have her removed as administrator.

The joint account may pass to her (although there's a chance it won't). You're entitled to a share of the other assets.

Can she legally close all his accounts and sell all his property the way she has?

An administrator is entitled to (and should) close accounts, collect the assets, and pay the deceased's bills.
More importantly should all the true bills to be paid should they not have come out of dads bank accounts instead of her trying to charge the estate?

It'll be a wash. The creditors will be paid out of the accounts or by selling the assets; either way, the estate will be lessened by that much. Of greater concern is her possible misappropriation of the accounts.

Dee_Dub

Thank you for answering
There is an estate atty. that was appointed he is the one who contacted me, my sister wanted to sell all and keep for herself claiming it was left to her alone. She closed the accounts but did not list them as assets for the estate, I am thinking she funneled all money through the joint account and then closed them all out (3) that I know of.
There is an escrow check missing that was mailed in my dads name to my sisters house Nov 2007 that is not listed.
Do I share my concerns with the current lawyer or hire a separate atty? A friend told me to contact the DA's office in Phila since she signed legal documents that added bogus bills that she claims to have paid out of her own pocket when I have traced them back to my dads account and even went so far as adding bills that were never even there.
Tomorrow is Monday and I do not even know where to begin, I cannot believe the disrespect to my fathers belongings money and name
Thank you so much

It's not clear to me who the existing lawyer works for. In any event, he will probably advise you to get independent legal representation, but it would not hurt to share your concerns. If your sister is not administering the estate correctly, he should know it too.

Inventing expenses to charge to the estate sounds like fraud to me.

Tomorrow is Monday and I do not even know where to begin,

Begin with getting a lawyer. They will know where to begin, how to sort out what your sister has done, and whether criminal charges are appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back