My Codefendent is Mentally Ill

Anthony Eason

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I was tried and convicted of 2x counts of aggravated malicious wounding in a joint bench trial with a co defendant of whom I did not know.

"After" trial prior to sentencing my co defendant was found incompetent. due to the late discovery of a lifelong history of serious mental health diseases and irrational behavior during pre trial incarceration.

it was illegal to try my incompetent codefendant because for one, a lack of jurisdiction due to his mental incompetence.

My question is
being that I was tried in a joint bench trial with him and said to have acted in concert with him wouldn't the lack of jurisdiction over him in my trial taint my trial making my trial and conviction illegal also warranting a new trial?

2. wouldn't his lifelong history of serious mental health diseases also be considered material exculpatory information that should have been disclosed pre trial?

Thanks,

I was tried and convicted of 2x counts of aggravated malicious wounding in a joint bench trial with a co defendant of whom I did not know.

"After" trial prior to sentencing my co defendant was found incompetent. due to the late discovery of a lifelong history of serious mental health diseases and irrational behavior during pre trial incarceration.

it was illegal to try my incompetent codefendant because for one, a lack of jurisdiction due to his mental incompetence.

My question is
being that I was tried in a joint bench trial with him and said to have acted in concert with him wouldn't the lack of jurisdiction over him in my trial taint my trial making my trial and conviction illegal also warranting a new trial?

2. wouldn't his lifelong history of serious mental health diseases also be considered material exculpatory information that should have been disclosed pre trial?

You can learn more about this at (redacted) I have included additional case information there.

Thanks,
How long ago (trial) did this happen? Have you discussed your questions to your attorney?

Last edited:
How does his incompetency affect your culpability.

Having said that...I hope you spend every year in prison that you are required to.

If no one noticed the OP is really just a link to his story which includes fund raising for his defense. Very SPAMish.
I noticed it - the link should be removed (and has been reported).

In my opinion, the OP is right where he belongs.

Eason v. Clarke, 1:16cv297 (LO/IDD) | Casetext Search + Citator

Mr. Eason: Is there any good reason why you didn't bother telling us any of the following HIGHLY RELEVENT things:

1. That this conviction occurred over nine years ago?

2. That your conviction resulted from your mother kidnapping your child from a caregiver appointed by the child's mother -- an incident that resulted in gun fight in which you were found to have shot at least one person?

3. That, following your conviction, you appealed, that the Court of Appeals affirmed your conviction, and that the Supreme Court of Virginia declined to hear your petition for further appeal?

4. That, in December 2014, the state circuit court denied your petition for a writ of habeas corpus, and that the Virginia Supreme Court denied your petition for appeal?

5. That, in October 2016, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia granted the respondent's motion to dismiss your federal petition for writ of habeas corpus?

6. That, in August 2017, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit dismissed your appeal of the District Court's ruling (and also denied your subsequent petition for rehearing en banc), and that, in October 2018, the United States Supreme Court denied your petition for a writ of certiorari (and also denied your petitions for rehearing)?

Four different courts have made a determination on the merits that there was nothing improper with your conviction, and two other courts passed on the opportunity for further review. It's over.

After NINE years and several appeals, it would be USELESS to discuss your concerns with any criminal attorneys specializing in appellate work.

It would be useless for me to attempt to opine further about the appeal or the trial.

Hint, hint, hint......

Good luck with whatever you choose to do, but always protect YOUR privacy, because ONLY you can save you.

Back