My brother was given a ticket for loitering while having a psychotic episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwelch

About 2 years ago, my lost his job and started to become stressed about what to do. Somehow, this stress caused him to have a nervous breakdown where he did not sleep and he just walked the streets crying and mumbling to himself about how unfair the world is. He was unconsoleable(sp), so I finally had to physically chase him down and force him to get treatment with the help of my local police department. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

A while later after he had been released from the institution, it happened again. This time, a police officer stopped him on the street and gave him a ticket for loitering. He was not in the right mind to receive a ticket and to this day, neither he nor anyone else in our family knew about this ticket for about a year until yesterday when he was accosted by the officer while he was buying something to eat.

The officer ran his name and arrested him for failure to appear. We have been told that he has a $450 fine, but it is too late to pay on Friday, so he has to stay in jail until we pay on Monday morning.

What can we do? We would like to be repaid for the cost of the fine, court costs, lost wages, transportation costs, and some resonable amount for him having to stay in jail for several days without his medicine because of this
weekend thing. We are also worried that this may trigger another episode. Do we have a case?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back