My boyfriend's roommate is crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

phredcat

My boyfriend is currently living with his oldest and best friend, who has developed some very nasty habits over the past few months. Namely, he is a drug addict and is using in their home. The roommate's family initiated an intervention a month or so ago to try to get this guy into treatment, but he refused. He denies continuing to use, but the evidence is all there. The smell emanating from his room is unmistakable, and I have seen him obviously high on several occasions since the intervention. My boyfriend confronted him about it yesterday, and told him that this cannot continue, at least not in his house. The rental agreement, utilities, etc. are all in my boyfriend's name, and as far as I know they don't have a formal, signed rental agreement. Upon being confronted, the roommate got very angry, and my boyfriend felt that he had reason to fear for the safety of the house, his dog, and his possessions. He doesn't want to be there, but is afraid to leave the roommate alone in the house. The roommate owns a hunting rifle.

The question is, does my boyfriend have any legal grounds to evict this guy immediately (or within, say, 72 hours?) Two friends, who are close to both guys and know the situation, have suggested that my BF call the police and let them deal with it. He doesn't want to do that, as this is one of his best friends and he hopes to somehow salvage the relationship. His preference would be to rent a moving truck, load the guy's stuff in it when he's not home, hand him the keys to the truck when he arrives and promptly have the locks changed on the house. Can he do this? What are the options at this point?

Thank you very much.

It depends on the state's law. But I assume nowhere in the US you can simply put someone's belongings on the street or in a van and "kick" him out. Eviction nowadays is a very complicated procedure that usually involves a court. In most states a landlord simply putting someone on the street would face double or triple damages, that means it can get really expensive for the landlord. You have to follow your state's provisions for terminating the lease and, if it needs to be, the eviction process.

In case he feels for his safety, however, if he has enough reasons to get a restraining order, he might use this instrument to prevent the roommate from coming to the house But this is pretty difficult to get.

Also in most states a person who obviously is a danger to himself or others because of mental illness can be committed against his will. But that would involve the police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back