My aunt's will

Bogdan Bucur

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello!

My wife's aunt (mother's sister) just died. She was an american citizen. She died here in Romania. Her husband told us that they made a will and he will enherit everything, but out of the good of his heart will give her some scraps. We haven't seen a will, we just have to believe him. Is there any way that we could see her will even though we are not american citizens?
She hated her husband's side of the family and she was clear, the years before she died, that she wanted her properties/things to go to her sister.

Thank you in advance for your answer!

Have a nice day!

Is there any way that we could see her will even though we are not american citizens?

First thing your mother-in-law has to understand is that married couples generally own all their assets jointly with right of survivorship. The husband inherits everything anyway.

If the deceased owned anything as her sole and separate property that property would have to be probated where the property is located. The probate file would be public record. In NY that's the Surrogate Court.

If they owned any assets in Romania, well, you can google Romanian probate law and see how that goes.

she was clear, the years before she died, that she wanted her properties/things to go to her sister.

Her wants are meaningless unless she put them in a will or devised them in some other legal manner.

Jurisdiction: New York

Why did you tag this as relating to New York? Was your wife's aunt a resident of New York who happened to be visiting Romania at the time of her death? Did she have any assets in Romania, or are all of her assets located in New York? For the time being, I'll assume she was a resident of New York with all assets in New York.

Is there any way that we could see her will even though we are not american citizens?

Sure. In the abstract world of all that is hypothetical, virtually anything is possible. Your citizenship has nothing to do with it, by the way.

She hated her husband's side of the family and she was clear, the years before she died, that she wanted her properties/things to go to her sister.

Made it clear to whom and how?

Her feelings about "her husband's side of the family" are irrelevant. No one on his side of the family would stand to inherit anything from her unless she had a will that said so. If she hated her husband and didn't want him to get anything, then she should have divorced him. If she had a will, then the will controls the disposition of her assets (subject to her husband's statutory right to a portion of the estate if her will left most or all of the estate to others). If she had no will and no children, grandchildren, etc., then her spouse inherits the entire estate.

Why did you tag this as relating to New York? Was your wife's aunt a resident of New York who happened to be visiting Romania at the time of her death? Did she have any assets in Romania, or are all of her assets located in New York? For the time being, I'll assume she was a resident of New York with all assets in New York.

It's near impossible to get rid of NY residency, so maybe it's relevant.

Back