My aunt stole all of my money from our joint bank account

Status
Not open for further replies.

stolen0714

My aunt and I had a joint bank account. I married a man she disapproved of and she stole every last dime of it out of my account. There must be something I can do to her? Can I sue her for the sum of money, legal fees, and mental anguish? Can I sue her business? Whats the maximum I can recieve? She has my social security number? Also she lives in California and I live in Texas.

How can I find a lawyer who will help me?

If you had a joint acct then she legally had the right to take the money. You really need to speak to an attorney to see if you have any recourse in getting the money back.

I am not sure if that reply was sarcastic, but you can also sue her in small claims court but the limits there are usually 5k at the most. You'll have to check to see what the limit is in your state. It generally is a really bad idea to share an acct with anyone. She had legal right to take the money since she was a signer on the acct. Gather all your paperwork and see an attorney if you are suffering a loss more than small claims amount.

Duranie, I wasn't being sarcastic

You would not believe how many people I have asked about the situation and everyone says to just forget about it. They blame me for what she did. I would have never expected her to steal my money. To me it would be different if she just asked if she really needed. Add in the fact that she lives in California and I live in Texas. I appreciate the response because I have been racking my brain on should I or shouldn't I sue her. You are the only one, who saw it from my point of view.

I didn't mean to seem rude, you were the only one who saw it as I did. I am glad you responded the way you did. That way I can go, "see, someone sees it from my point of view. I am not a horrible person for suing her for what she did." I still haven't found a lawyer that even wants to take the time to listen to me. So, I still might be screwed.

Thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back