Must Representative be Licensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephnyc

Does anyone know if, in small claims, a representative for either an individual or corporation must be an attorney?

That is, can a non-attorney (and non-employee, in the case of a company) represent a party in a small claims action?

Thanks,

Joseph

My understanding is that a non-attorney can represent a corporation in small claims court -- however, the rules vary in each jurisdiction. Some state that there is a monetary threshold under which a non-attorney can represent a corporation. You should check with the clerk of the small claims court for the rules. They usually have a booklet of rules.
Originally posted by josephnyc
Does anyone know if, in small claims, a representative for either an individual or corporation must be an attorney?

That is, can a non-attorney (and non-employee, in the case of a company) represent a party in a small claims action?

Thanks,

Joseph

Thank you.

I checked online, but didn't find the answer.

Checking with a clerk in NYC means a trip down -- not a particularly pleasant activity. But, it's got to be done.

Originally posted by josephnyc
Thank you.

I checked online, but didn't find the answer.

Checking with a clerk in NYC means a trip down -- not a particularly pleasant activity. But, it's got to be done.
There is a lawyer's "red book" that has numbers for every court. You could always ask the operator at the main number for this extension. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back