Moving With No Lease

NaiveCindy

Jurisdiction
Nevada
Wasnt sure where to put this, please move if I placed it wrong, thanx.
First of all, as my name suggests, I do not know much about this subject yet ignorantly ran head into it. I do not even know the legal definition of subleasing, yet I kind of get the gist. When a coworker found out I was looking for a room mate, she offered me a deal and I accepted. Being a Christian I even stated I would even pay her more then asked due to the sob story she gave me at the time. I even threw in extra for utilities which were not required in her original offer. Her and her daughter are on a month to month lease with the owners and even though I asked to be put on the lease twice they never got around to it. Its been over three years now and aside from us using home made receipts the first year only (for some reason we just stopped), it has been a verbal agreement only. They would then collect all three portions and were the only ones ever in contact with the owners.
Three weeks ago the daughter rells me that the owner gave them 30 days to move out because they are selling the house, but that she talked them into 6 weeks.
I informed my room mates that I was moving out as soon as possible because I can not afford to save for a new place and pay this months rent as well. I also need to leave at the 3 or 4 week mark because they have seriously lied about the verbal agreement. I have asthma and COPD. I said I could not live with smokers, animals, be around chemicals, and lastly would need a bed. They lied on all counts. I only roughed it out due to financial circumstances. But now that I can afford to move out I wish to leave sooner than the 6 weeks.
Am I legally obligated to pay rent for the last month considering I signed no legal documents?
Another reason I wish to move ASAP is because it turns out that they have serious gambling addictions, and as a result will steal anything that isnt nailed down. Even going as far as picking the lock on my bedroom door. They have taken electronics, clothing, toiletries, food, mail, even once collecting rent and utilities from me for 4 months and gambling it away behind my back. The landlord threatened them with eviction so they suddenly coughed up the back rent.
Any advice will be sincerely appreciated.
Thank You

You can do that which your conscience or your Christian beliefs permit.

You appear to have no audit trail which would allow the gambling addicts AKA room burglars to take you to court, which they wouldn't be inclined to do so anyway.

Your thieving FAKE landlords will likely interfere with your efforts to vacate unless you pay them tribute.

To avoid such a scene, it might be best to gather a small team to remove your stuff in 5-10 minutes as you vanish into the Vegas metropolis.

Your other option is ask the local constabulary to do a civil standby.
If they agree, be prepared to collect what you can in 20-30 minutes.

If you attempt these slick, streetwise techniques, your results might be less than desired.

Bottom line, be careful.

When you're dealing with snakes and rabid bats you very often get attacked and even envenomated.

And yet you stayed with these crooks for 3 years?

Yikes.

Well, your roommate is your landlord, you are her tenant. You are on a month to month oral agreement. That's an enforceable contract even though it's not in writing.

You pay rent in advance for the month you live there. You don't live there without paying rent.

What you end up getting away with because of whatever wrongs that you feel have been done to you is anybody's guess.

Keep in mind that you stayed there for 3 years under abhorrent conditions and never put aside a nickel for the contingency that you might one day have to move out quickly. Sorry, but you have nobody to blame but yourself.

There is nothing stopping you from moving out any time you choose.
You have no obligation to pay additional rent until a court orders you to do so.
By your description I'd assume your roomies are not savvy enough to obtain such a judgment against you.
Personally I would just disappear from their world.
If you intend to stay for about a month anyway then give them WRITTEN notice how of your intent, then disappear after 30 days. If you give them proper notice they'll have no claim against you for rent.

Army Judge, Thank you for your response. I would love to disappear from their radar. However, they know where I work.
Also, in true ghetto fashion, one of them is trying to open a medical marijuana despensory with friends of hers, and once made a veiled threat to me concerning it. Why, I have no clue since I could not care less about their corrupted, sick life style. In the veiled threat she said that anyone who tried to interfere with their efforts would be dealt with by some friends of hers with physical consequences. If only they didnt know where I worked because it would be nice to never see their God forsaken faces again.

ajusterjack,
No, I do not blame myself. I blame the many serious health conditions I have which make it only possible to work part time, therefore requiring me to live paycheck to paycheck as many others are forced to do.
As long as there are evil people in the world, such as my room mates, who take advantage of people in difficult circumstances, prey on them even, there will always be innocent victims such as myself. There is the word victim in the english language for a reason. I will not feel ashamed for falling for these con artists, all the shame falls on them.

mightymoose,
Thank you.
Very good advise. Wish I had known about it sooner for I have already lived here 2 weeks after I was told about the 30 day notice.
As I found out in this thread, it seems that an oral contract is binding. But I have strong suspicion that they were notified more than 30 days ago and gave written notice to the home owners, and are therefor living rent free as they slowly pack and search for a new place. Of course all the while still conivingly collecting rent from me. God will deal with them later.
I think my only recourse is to move out now, let them know as I am doing it to avoid any more anger than is necessary, and pay them half the rent for only living here half of the last month.
Thank you so much once again.

Thank you every one who responded to this thread. If anyone here is Christisn please pray for God's favor in my circumstance.

May God Bless You And Yours :)

Sincerely,

A Little Less Naive

Am I legally obligated to pay rent for the last month considering I signed no legal documents?

You need to give 30 days' notice. You can, of course, move out before the 30 day period expires, but you are still obligated to pay through the end of the 30 day period.

Zddoodah,
Thank you.
Three weeks into the six week period we were given, I told my room mate that I couldnt afford to stay and that I would be leaving, but halfway through the period doesn't count does it? Plus, I told her verbally, not in writing. I don't understand how my verbal contract to my room mates regarding paying rent on a month to month basis is legally binding, yet letting them know I will be moving has to be in writing and then that verbal agreement would suddenly not be binding.

Update

Two days ago one of the room mates told me that I would have to give her half the rent or the following day or they would change the locks. So I did, even though I'm not sure if they are still paying rent and it's really an actual eviction we're facing. But it made me wonder why this money hungry criminal wasn't asking for all of it if we have until the 1st as she claims.
Meanwhile, they are packing up personal items and dishes tonight, things that seem like the very last things you pack.
If they do skip out while I'm at work tomorrow and I come home to a new lock from the actual owners, isnt that some sort of criminal mischief on their part? I mean leading me to believe for some reason that I have more time than I actually do?

Changing the locks is an unlawful eviction.
It you have not been legally evicted by a court then you still have legal access to the home.
It is not illegal to force entry into your own home, but you could be held responsible for any damage you cause.
Before you take that step you might contact local law enforcement and fill them in on what is happening so things don't go bad for you.
You might also discreetly unlock a window or two so that you might get back in without causing any damage.
Hopefully you are packing your bags too. It's unfortunate you forked over more dough, but do what you have to.

Hello mightymoose. Just wanted to thank you for your very kind replies. :)
Yes, I've been packing as well abd doing as you suggested ;)
It really has been a hard time made even more difficult by having to deal with scoundrel con artists. I guess I never will find out the truth of what happened with the actual owners, they wont give me their phone number. Ah well, if you are a believer, pray that my income tax refund comes in a couple days, and I will be fine.

Thank you again mightymoose! :cool:
You should be a lawyer :D

Back