Moving violation in Vermont for Connecticut driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osprey

Hello- I am looking for the best course of action to take. I am licensed in CT. I am not sure if my driving record is clean or not- I was cited for speeds too fast for conditions about 15 months ago in CT related to an at-fault fender bender.

I was recently in Vermont on highway 89 and was trying to get to an exit so I could turn around to go the opposite direction on the highway. We were going very slowly with traffic backed up because of construction. I used a turnaround in the median of the highway. I was stopped by a state trooper afterwards. I didn't see any no U-turn signs, which I mentioned to him. I have not been able to go back and see if I just missed the sign, as most of the turnarounds seem to be signed, but in any case he said it was posted on the highway on-ramps.

I have a citation for U Turns prohibited
VSA 23 1004, Violation Code IRV for 2 points.

The fine is $156.

I am concerned about my insurance company and my CT driving record. Apparently Vermont doesn't have traffic school? Is there a point to getting a traffic lawyer or contesting this?

If there was a sign, even a lawyer can't help you.

This is akin to running a stop sign or red light.

The officer's word will trump yours.

No harm in talking to a lawyer.

There might be a trick or two the lawyer can pull outta the hat to help you.

From my experience, an attorney may get your points knocked down but the state always wants the money for the fine. I'm not sure how insurance might view a plea of guilty to a ticket but knocking down the points almost always helps. With traffic court I have found it's usually ruled by the local people and I've had times where the prosecutor is willing to knock down points when an attorney is present for the defense. The question really is what your defense is and what the custom is in the local court - you might wish to contact a lawyer to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back