Moving out

• Thread Starter Angel Stockdale
  • Start date
A

Angel Stockdale

Jurisdiction
Oklahoma
I have over to Missouri and in the state of Missouri you have to be 17 to move out, but my Aunt Victoria has legal guardianship over me. The judge told me that I have to be 18 or graduated to move out, but that was in Oklahoma, does that mean the same in Missouri? I want to move out in November when I turn 17. Can I do that legally?

Nope.

A quirk in Missouri law means that law enforcement is sometimes reluctant to return home a 17 year old who is in a safe place, but that reluctance is not legally binding and does nothing to prevent a parent or legal guardian from dragging the kid home by his or her ear. The legal age to move out in both Missouri and Oklahoma is 18. Not 17.

I want to move out in November when I turn 17. Can I do that legally?

Well, sort of.

I found the following on a Missouri lawyer's website but I don't have any authorities to cite to support it.

Missouri allows a minor to emancipate him- or herself in a few situations.
  1. If the minor marries with consent of his or her parents, he or she is considered emancipated. In Missouri a minor can marry at the age of 16 with parental consent.
  2. If the minor enters active duty in the armed forces.
  3. If the minor has been declared emancipated by the court.
  4. If the minor has provided for his or her own food, shelter, and other living expenses through employment or other means.
  5. If the minor has consent to emancipate from his or her guardian or custodial parent.
Note number 4.

You will have no "legal" authority to do any of that. You will be hard pressed to find landlords or vendors who will make contracts with you so finding a job and a place to live so you can support yourself will be difficult.

But if you manage to survive for a year without becoming a homeless, drug addicted, pregnant, prostitute, you'll be fine.

Back