Moving out issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker15

We lived in a commmercial apartment complex over 4 years ago. The complex decided to go condo. Everyone was given the option to either leave or purchase their apartment. We decided to leave and gave the notice they requested. Well, now 4 years later, they are saying that we owe them about $1400.00 for new flooring? We cleaned the apartment before we left, and it looked great. We were advised that all the conversions were going to have new appliances, countertops and flooring put in as well. How can they make us pay for the new flooring, when the carpets we left behind were fine? Also, I cannot get into any new apartments now becaue of this. I've been at another place for the last 4 years, and need to move, please help?

Their opportunity to claim damages from you over the floor passed a long time ago. After four years have passed you should have no trouble fighting this off if you are taken to court. In the mean time, disregard their attempts to collect from you. They can't get anything without a judge's order.

reply to gail

I think it's at a collection agency. I had no idea about it until I applied at an apartment comlpex today. All they told me was I had to contact my past apartment complex.

My understanding is that this was sent to collections way before this four year mark and you are now only learning about this now when you are trying to rent a new place.

Have you spoken with the initial apartment complex?

Gail

You could start by sending a written letter to the agency attempting to collect the debt and the credit bureaus notifying them that you never received documentation and you are in dispute of the bill, this way it will show you in dispute on your credit report until you can get it cleared up. It is good to check your credit once a year for free.

Also, check the applications you fill out at any apartment community. They should have what is called a statement of leasing policy that covers their requirements to qualify, hopefully that will shed light on their policy if you have unpaid debt to a prior landlord. Many times if the debt is outside of 1-3 years they will not hold it against you, if you have established positive rental history since then or maybe you have prior rental history before this place that will give a good reference.

If you need a place right away while you get it resolved you may ask them if you can pay an extra deposit in lieu of the debt showing to facilitate your application process. Do you have good job and good credit, then most leasing offices can work with you?

I have called them and they cannot find anything. A new managment company took over. It was sent to a collection company about 4 years aog. So I guess I have to hash it out with them, meanwhile I can't rent anywhere else.

Thanks for your imput, they are holding it against me unfortunately. I have great work history, and great rental history for the last 4 years. It's frustrating. I just sent a letter to dispute the charges. I hope it clears it up. The apartment complex changed management and said everything was a mess when they got it. Their condo project had failed.

I called them and since they have change management companies about a year ago, nothing is showing in the records. According to the new people the records were a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back