Moving out at the age of 17 in Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler7777777

I just recently got out of a group home/rehabilitation in Wisconsin. I've been home for 2 weeks and still do not get along with my mom, she suspects me of still doing drugs and drinking alcohol even though i don't. She doesn't let me do anything, is very strict, and has issues with trust. I just turned 17 today, June 10th, and was wondering if I could move out of my mom's house and move in with friends or a friend and his/her family.

If Mom gives permission, absolutely.

If not, nope.

You will absolutely not qualify for emancipation, either.

Please understand that Mom has good reasons for wanting - needing, in fact - to rebuild trust with you. It has only been two weeks - this is obviously not easy on her, either.

Just to make sure it's clear, the legal age to move out without permission is 18. Not 17.

Even if mom did allow you to move out she would still be responsible for you, and considering that, it would be foolish of her to do so. Further, if Social Services were ever to find out she had just let you go then she might find herself in another mess she doesn't need.
Suck it up... you only have a year to go. Parents make the rules, like it or not. She is the only mom you will ever have. Make the best of the next year and don't make her miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back