Moving Company Blatant Fraud & Hostage Of Goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUMPHHH

My son recently hired a moving company to take his girlfriend, her kids and his household items from Michigan to Louisiana.
He was quoted $1,400, but a day after the movers left with his stuff they called and said that he was overweight by 770 lbs.
An additional charge of $500 was added to the bill and his items would be held in storage until he came up with $1,900.
It took him 2 weeks to earn the extra money, but they didn't deliver it until a total of 6 weeks after they picked it up. When the items arrived, my son had the driver go straight to the weigh station, suspecting that he didn't have that much, and he was right, the items were actually under the estimated weight by 150 lbs. The driver still wouldn't release the items until the entire $1,900 was paid and said that he would have to file a claim for the return of the money. My question is this: Is he entitled to MORE than a $500 refund? For one thing, they obviously pulled that 770 lbs right out of their A$$ and plus my son had to buy things that they didn't need like blankets, pillows, clothes and even fast food (no dishes) also, the kids had to start school and go for 2 weeks without even their beds. I feel like hardship is involved here, not to mention the obvious fraud, but should he include that on his claim and then sue if he's denied?
Or, should he just request the overcharge?
Thanks

I get so upset reading about moving company cases. There are many movers who are notorious for pulling these shenanigans - they have your stuff and then they hold it hostage based upon new charges. As a rule of thumb, ALWAYS get paperwork before the move and make sure it is a complete bill. Read it carefully. They should be able to tell you immediately as to the cost of the move. Also make sure that the moving company is reputed and licensed, bonded and insured.

You may want to look up this company to see if they are licensed, bonded and insured and also search the Better Business Bureau (and online) to see if there are any complaints. You may want to file a complaint with the BBB. To answer your question, it would probably be easiest just to get the overcharge amount and be done with it. You can always file your complaints at the BBB and in small claims court for whatever amount you'd like afterwards. The story is outrageous and best of luck to you.

My son told me that he received a registered letter the other day from the company, but he wouldn't sign for it fearing that it would somehow release them of any obligations or something (I might have hesitated myself) So then they call him and ask why he refused the letter and informed him that there was a $400 check inside. (He hasn't even filed a claim yet, so I'm pretty sure they know they're busted) He told them that the overcharge was MORE than 400 and he would get back to them with the full amount. He doesn't really want to go to court, but he would like some compensation, do you think it would be okay for him to request extra money when he files a claim for the overcharge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back