Repairs, Maintenance Mould and eczema

Status
Not open for further replies.

skgtsox

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I was contracted to move into my new flat with three additional housemates three weeks ago, but there was a mould problem left by the previous tenant and the lettings agent agreed to prioritise removing it.

The other housemates moved in anyway and haven't had any major problems, but since I suffer from eczema I have been staying in a hostel as a precaution. Mould is well documented as a common trigger for symptoms of eczema, and although I've never been exposed to enough mould to know whether it would affect me personally, I'd really rather not risk it.

The agency has yet to provide an estimated resolution date 3 weeks down the line, and the four of us are liable to pay full rent for this period. I did a little research and think I might be eligible to claim compensation under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. But since I have virtually no knowledge on law, I was hoping for a second opinion.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any additional input!

Hi everyone,

I was contracted to move into my new flat with three additional housemates three weeks ago, but there was a mould problem left by the previous tenant and the lettings agent agreed to prioritise removing it.

The other housemates moved in anyway and haven't had any major problems, but since I suffer from eczema I have been staying in a hostel as a precaution. Mould is well documented as a common trigger for symptoms of eczema, and although I've never been exposed to enough mould to know whether it would affect me personally, I'd really rather not risk it.

The agency has yet to provide an estimated resolution date 3 weeks down the line, and the four of us are liable to pay full rent for this period. I did a little research and think I might be eligible to claim compensation under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018. But since I have virtually no knowledge on law, I was hoping for a second opinion.

Thank you in advance for reading and for any additional input!
This site is for US Law only...I'm sorry we can't assist you.

I might be eligible to claim compensation under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018.

I don't think so. While we don't do UK law here, I did look up that act. Any compensation you claim under the act is not automatic and would have to be litigated for any non-compliance.

Meantime, you voluntarily avoided moving in because you were afraid of something that might happen but hasn't happened yet. And by your own admission you have no idea whether it even will happen.

Sorry, but I don't see you getting compensation but fee free to consult a lawyer.

Thread remains closed since that's all that can be said on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back