Motorhome parking/living

Kathee

Jurisdiction
California
My motorhome is currently parked in my front yard on a cemented slab on my property, I do own my home. My daughter who is single no pets either is currently staying in it. Is this legal or illegal?

This will depend on local ordinances. If you live in the city this is most likely unlawful. If you are in the county... Then maaaybe.

You can contact your city/county code enforcement (whichever is appropriate for where you live) and they should be able to give you a definite answer.

My motorhome is currently parked in my front yard on a cemented slab on my property, I do own my home. My daughter who is single no pets either is currently staying in it. Is this legal or illegal?

Why do you ask?

Is somebody telling you it isn't legal?

Bellflower, CA city ordinances, allows you to search terms and ordinances:
Bellflower Municipal Code (Bellflower, California)
This was mentioned in an LA Times article YEARS ago:
RV Parking Ordinance Would Make a Years-Old Custom Legal
Today it is 96 hours, maybe:
https://www.bellflower.org/resources/permits/parking.asp
This is what you want:
17.72.010 Front Yard Storage.
Except as provided for in Section 17.72.080, no portion of the front yard shall be used for the parking or storage of motor vehicles, trailers, campers, airplanes, boats, recreational vehicles, motor homes, parts of any of the foregoing, junk, tent or building materials (with the exception of building materials for use on the premises and stored thereon during the time a valid permit is in effect for construction on the premises). (Prior code § 19-16.1(b))

This too:
The LA County Sheriff enforces the law in your municipality:
Contact LACSO:
City of Bellflower Sheriff's Substation
16615 Bellflower Boulevard
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 925-0124

Hours
Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Alternating Friday and Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Closed Sundays

After-Hours Services
After hours, a message may be left on the Substation's general voice mail by calling at the above number or in an individual voice mail by calling the City Hall switchboard at (562) 804-1424 and entering the staff member's extension number. Extension 2501 also goes to the Substation's general voice mail.
After hours, you can reach someone in Lakewood:
Lakewood Sheriff's Station
5130 North Clark Avenue
Lakewood, CA 90712
(562) 623-3500
24 hours daily

Yes my neighbor was saying something

17.72.010 Front Yard Storage.
Except as provided for in Section 17.72.080, no portion of the front yard shall be used for the parking or storage of motor vehicles, trailers, campers, airplanes, boats, recreational vehicles, motor homes, parts of any of the foregoing, junk, tent or building materials (with the exception of building materials for use on the premises and stored thereon during the time a valid permit is in effect for construction on the premises). (Prior code § 19-16.1(b))

Except that a concrete slab is a "driveway" and not part of the "yard."

The city code defines "driveway":

"Residential driveway" shall mean a paved area providing vehicular access and extending from the street, alley, public right-of-way or other access to a parking space, garage or carport.

The section of the code that allows motor homes to be parked on the property is at:

17.72.080 Maintaining Vehicles in Front, Side and Other Specified Yards.

However, Kathee, you have to be aware of one limitation in that section, that the motor home must be:

Free of electric, sewer and plumbing hookups except those temporarily required to provide the vehicle with adequate cleaning and maintenance.

With your daughter living in the motor home I suspect that it has one or more of the electric, sewer and plumbing facilities hooked up, which is something that could result in a fine if reported to the city.

Back