Motorcycle Sale Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBMX

Over 1 month ago I sold my Honda CRF 50 dirt bike to an out of state gentleman after he viewed it online. We sent several emails back and forth about the bike and came to agreement on a price of $1250. I sent over a "bill of sale" which stated the bike was a CRF 50 (no model year named, but he added upon return of bill of sale it was an 2008) and that there was no warranty, but if the bike had experienced a problem i would do my best to rectify the situation in form of replacing broken parts, and i stated the bike was running before it was shipped.
I had originally told him it was a 2008 because i believed it was, i bought it from the owner of the motorcycle store i work at, the bike had never been sold out, and his daughter rode it maybe twice out back. The bike was practically brand new, and it was in fact never sold/titled. I had not mentioned the year in my bill of sale though, and thoroughly explained "it was not rolled off the showroom floor".
Well he recieved the bike after i had shipped it, put it together from shipping, and went to fire it up and it had not either ran correctly, or not at all. I cant get it straight from him. He also informed me the bike was an 05 after a vin check, but it does come up as having never been registered. He proceeded to find my place of business which i had not mentioned to him, and called my bike shop several times threatining to sue me and other threats.
I explained to him I had no idea it was an 05 (which I hadnt) and that I would fix whatever problem he thought it had and go beyond, he stated he was worried about the bike blowing a crank, and I told him I would replace the entire bottom portion of the engine, even though nothing was wrong with it, at all. I also said I would pay the KBB value of difference between the years to him, which was approx. $75.
Im not trying to blow this guy off, and the owner of the shop I bought it from tells me that all dirt bikes are sold with no warranty and not to return his money for the machine. I dont want to screw the guy, but I do not want to return his money in exchange for the machine returned to me. Advice please?

It's difficult to say what the law is here. The law may say there is a mutual mistake of fact - you both thought that a 2008 model was being sold but it was a 2005. As such, the buyer might be able to "void" the deal. Additionally, it's difficult to say what you told him, e.g. guaranteed it would at least start up when it arrived. We also don't know what is in your bill of sale - does it say anywhere that the bike was sold "as is" or with any guarantees or warranties? This one is messy and you're probably best off trying to make it work for both of you even though this might end up being breakeven at best. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back