Motor vehicle tax bill not received

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaunceyoj

My niece called me tonight to say that Norwalk, CT is billing her for motor vehicle taxes on a car she sold several years ago. She acknowledges that she owned the car then, and has since bought a new car,but she never received any notice of a tax due on the old vehicle.She is a home owner, has always paid her taxes on cars and property, receives mail on the tax owed, and has excellent credit. The tax collector claims they had turned her previous debt over to a collector, but she never has gotten a call from anyone in a collection agency. She is perfectly willing to pay any taxes that were due even though she never had received a bill, but the interest is almost as much as the taxes. Apparently in CT the failure to receive a tax bill does not get you off the hook for the tax, which seems unfair, and I believe the state may be trying to change that. My question is if this taxpayer has no record of not paying her debts, including taxes, how can Norwalk CT who utilizes the mails to send out the tax bills, and apparently has no record of a collection agency trying to contact this person, who has been listed in the phone books for years, expect to get any more than the actual tax that may have been due.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back