Motion for social investigation and home study

Status
Not open for further replies.

naz52

My ex wants to get married (in Nov.) and move to NY with my son (asap). We are going to a hearing in front of the general magistrate (unless I object, I'm not sure what's best) at some point no date has been set yet. I personally don't think she has a leg to stand on as far as her moving with my son. I'm here, I see him, we have a great relationship, I pay, I'm stable and he has his own room at my house (perfect setting), and he loves playing/roaming the many acres over here.
Well, today I get a motion for social investigation and home study. It says "The Mother has been required to retain the services of the undersigned attorney to represent her in bringing this Motion and has obligated herself to pay a reasonable fee for such representation. The Mother request that this Court orders both parties are to equally share the costs of this court-ordered social investigation and study (home study).
WHEREFORE, the Mother requests this Honorable court to enter an order directing the appointment of a social investigator (home study) professional or other expert for examination of the parties' minor child, order both parties to be equally responsible for the cost of such Home Study, and grant such other relief deemed just and proper."

My concern is, first, I don't have any money to put towards any such "home study", any money zero, nor do I know how much it will cost. Infact, I don't have the funds to get an attorney.
Secondly, can I object this motion? Really, I don't care if they do a study if she pays for ALL of it.
Also, I can't even determine if the study is for my residence or hers as well.
Is it possible or likely for the court to grant the study and force me to pay with money that don't exist?
Is she trying to prove me to be an unfit parent or something?

This is all fine and dandy for her to go through all of this seeings how see finally found someone with buckets of money.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Naz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back