Juvenile Crime Motion for Appropriate Relief

Kingvon

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
My cousin was arrested as a minor over four years ago and has been sentenced to 22 to 26 years in prison of which he has already served four. I would like to know what is the process for starting a "Motion for Appropriate Relief" in the state of North Carolina and is a lawyer required for this process?

You would be out of your mind to attempt this without a lawyer. The lawyer will know what the process is.

My cousin was arrested as a minor over four years ago and has been sentenced to 22 to 26 years in prison of which he has already served four. I would like to know what is the process for starting a "Motion for Appropriate Relief" in the state of North Carolina and is a lawyer required for this process?

The title "Motion for Appropriate Relief" is a very general one and can apply to any number of motions. The details of his situation matter in determining what, if anything, he can pursue at this point. What is the relief he is seeking and what reasons does he have for asking the court to grant that relief? For example, does he contend that the court made an error in sentencing? Does he believe that something in the prosecution process violated his constitutional rights? Or is it something else?

He was arrested while a minor, but exactly how old was he, was he charged as an adult, what was the crime he was convicted of committing, and did he accept a plea deal or was he convicted after a trial?

What I'm getting at here is that there are a lot that factors that go into whether he might have a good claim to seek some kind of relief and what that relief would be. Because of that, while a lawyer is not required to pursue it, having a lawyer experienced in post conviction relief advise your cousin and represent him in pursuing the relief is highly recommended. He wants to get the best shot at it that he can.

Suggest to your cousin that a conversation with any of the jailhouse lawyers about "relief" and how he could seek same might be eye opening.

Unless you're a lawyer, there is nothing you can do to affect his "relief" but raise public awareness about his plight, raise funds to help with his legal expenses, and contact your local and federal elected officials.

Back