Eviction Notice most unusual renting situation ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwhi7

Our renting situation is the most unsual one ever in the world. We have a landlord who bought our three generational family home when we came into financial trouble many years ago. After 6 years or so, he went bankrupt and had to get rid of several of his rental properties. He decided on our home to be one of them even though he knew how desperately we wanted to stay here and even though a disabled child and disabled elderly woman lived here also.

So, we ended up being forced to move within a couple of weeks and lost most of our belongings because we had no time to move everything. During the next four months I was researching all over to find a broker who would buy our home and rent it back to us. Our mother passed away right before the move and she did leave us some money from her benefits. We couldn't find a buyer and I was getting worried our house would be sold if I didn't find someone fast. I decided to contact our old landlord and asked if he knew anyone who would do this for us and we would pay for the remodeling. He said his brother was willing to do it but everything had to be done his way. So, I gave him the money (45,000) altogether and he hired contractors to remodel the home (we had no say in it). After about five months we moved back in at 1200.00 a month even though we were only paying 1000.00 before the remodeling. We even agreed to pay him two years of rent in advance because he wanted it. We agreed because of our desperation to get our beloved home back and we were out of our mind with grief and devastation. After we moved in things started falling apart and breaking in the house but we just lived with it. We paid for all the utilities, lawn care, maintenance, etc. for the past four years now. In 2011 we lost over 1/2 of our income and fell behind on the rent. That amount is now in back rent plus the 1200.00 we pay. He has threatened eviction many times and served us with papers if we did not pay the entire back rent.

We finally made an agreement(we have never had an actual lease) to pay 1300.00 a month until paid up but we are now on government benefits and they flucuate and have been lowered recently. It is nearly impossible to pay 1300.00 every month. This month we could only pay 1100.00 and we are trying to get rental assistance for the 200.00 we owe but he isn't standing for it and is wanting to evict us yet again, three disabled persons including a disabled child. After all of the money we put into this home, he refuses to acknowledge it and acts like we are just "regular" tenants.

What can we do? We do not want to lose our family home that we put so much into to keep just because we were stupid enough to trust this guy again.
We actually own 1/2 this house but it's not in writing. (I know, STUPID)

Last edited:
It would appear that this is not your property. Because of this, you are indeed regular" tenants.

It might not seem fair, but if he wants to evict you, he's legally able to do so no matter how much you put into the house.

Our renting situation is the most unsual one ever in the world. We have a landlord who bought our three generational family home when we came into financial trouble many years ago. After 6 years or so, he went bankrupt and had to get rid of several of his rental properties. He decided on our home to be one of them even though he knew how desperately we wanted to stay here and even though a disabled child and disabled elderly woman lived here also.

So, we ended up being forced to move within a couple of weeks and lost most of our belongings because we had no time to move everything. During the next four months I was researching all over to find a broker who would buy our home and rent it back to us. Our mother passed away right before the move and she did leave us some money from her benefits. We couldn't find a buyer and I was getting worried our house would be sold if I didn't find someone fast. I decided to contact our old landlord and asked if he knew anyone who would do this for us and we would pay for the remodeling. He said his brother was willing to do it but everything had to be done his way. So, I gave him the money (45,000) altogether and he hired contractors to remodel the home (we had no say in it). After about five months we moved back in at 1200.00 a month even though we were only paying 1000.00 before the remodeling. We even agreed to pay him two years of rent in advance because he wanted it. We agreed because of our desperation to get our beloved home back and we were out of our mind with grief and devastation. After we moved in things started falling apart and breaking in the house but we just lived with it. We paid for all the utilities, lawn care, maintenance, etc. for the past four years now. In 2011 we lost over 1/2 of our income and fell behind on the rent. That amount is now in back rent plus the 1200.00 we pay. He has threatened eviction many times and served us with papers if we did not pay the entire back rent.

We finally made an agreement(we have never had an actual lease) to pay 1300.00 a month until paid up but we are now on government benefits and they flucuate and have been lowered recently. It is nearly impossible to pay 1300.00 every month. This month we could only pay 1100.00 and we are trying to get rental assistance for the 200.00 we owe but he isn't standing for it and is wanting to evict us yet again, three disabled persons including a disabled child. After all of the money we put into this home, he refuses to acknowledge it and acts like we are just "regular" tenants.

What can we do? We do not want to lose our family home that we put so much into to keep just because we were stupid enough to trust this guy again.
We actually own 1/2 this house but it's not in writing. (I know, STUPID)

If its NOT reduced to writing, you own NOTHING.

Plus, why do a deal with a crook?

Anyway, cool story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back