Mortgage stated is not the mortgage they tried to sell me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman7559

My wife and I both have great credit (each over 750), make combined $115K per year, no foreclosures/etc, verified employment, and are trying to re-fi a $403,000 loan on a $600,000 house. By all accords, an easy loan.

On 10/05, we locked a loan with a lender at 6.35% and paid a $500.00 appraisal fee. I advised them that I wanted no cash out of pocket expense and that I wanted my taxes and insurance rolled into my monthly payment.

On 10/07, in a FedEx pack, among many docs/forms, we received:

"Good Faith Estimate"

A 4 page "Uniform Residential Loan Application"

They told me these weren't the final forms and to not sign/return them, but these forms did indicate 6.35% with taxes factored into the loan.

On 11/08 (more than 30 days later) the lender advised me via phone that they had FINALLY completed the docs and that the only change would be a $700 out-of-pocket expense.

That same night, they sent a notary to my house who presented me:

6.50%
$1250.00 out of pocket expense
No taxes paid into the monthly loan amount

On 11/09, he called me to asked why we hadn't signed. When I clarified for him, he said "oh yeah, I apologize -- I forgot to tell you about the rate change, but I didn't know the underwriter added an extra $550 to the upfront cost".

I have since contacted another lender and already been conditionally approved to be closed by the end of the month.

Question -- Do I have any legal recourse to reclaim my $500.00 appraisal fee or potentially drag this original lender through the mud for bad business/apparent predatory lending?

Any thoughts or insight?

Q: Question -- Do I have any legal recourse to reclaim my $500.00 appraisal fee or potentially drag this original lender through the mud for bad business/apparent predatory lending?

A: No; you would need the appraisal for the second loan also. The facts you stated are just how mortgages work in this crazy market. There was nothing predatory since you were not tricked.

I do need an appraisal for the 2nd loan with company B, but I have been advised that the 1st loan at company A owns the appraisal and I am only authorized to a copy of it upon written request. Company B with the 2nd loan advised me that they need their own loan company, now costing me a new appraisal fee.

Sue away if you like.

The bottom line, however, is that mortgage negotiations are just that.

Until you get to the closing table, the terms are up in the air.

Judge....

Thanks for the insight. I was looking for the legal bottom line, and if there's no clear malice, I'm not at liberty to pursue it.

I was basing this the principle, and I appreciate the advice!

Judge....

Thanks for the insight. I was looking for the legal bottom line, and if there's no clear malice, I'm not at liberty to pursue it.

I was basing this the principle, and I appreciate the advice!

The principle is read what you sign and negotiate till the last dog dies.:angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back