Mortgage repayment responsibilities if not on Loan/Title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

My husband bought a house on mortgage in 1993 and made sure to only have himself on the mortgage and title as his wife at the time had horrendous credit. The (now ex) wife was in charge of payments and failed to make the payments thus sending the house into foreclosure. She 'fixed' the situation by re-financing the house by forging my husband's signature, so now they are both on the mortgage. They got divorced 8 years ago, but we haven't been able to re-finance the house because it's not worth what is owed on it. (I wouldn't pay even $5,000.00 for it, myself.) The ex-wife keeps harping on him, and me, to re-finance it even though we have explained to her why we can't do it. (She's such a horrible person, ruined 2 of her kids credit ratings by using their identities and not paying bills, etc., that I have no desire to be nice to her.)

Keeping in mind that I am not on the title or the mortage, here is my question:
If my husband were to pass away before the house is paid off, would I be under any obligation to pay off the mortgage?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Keeping in mind that I am not on the title or the mortage, here is my question:
If my husband were to pass away before the house is paid off, would I be under any obligation to pay off the mortgage?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

If your name is NOT on the mortgage documents, and your hubby passes away before you do, NO; you are NOT obligated to do a darn thing or pay one red cent towards that debt.

You should also urge him to contact the police and see if she can be prosecuted for forging his name and obtaining the refi.
He should at a minimum report the matter to the company that processed and holds the mortgage.

Why?

Well, the crooked, thieving, old hag MIGHT die before your hubby.
If that happens, GUESS who will then be on the hook for the mortgage. Yes, YOUR HUBBY.

HUBBY, and perhaps you, might wish to speak with a lawyer and determone what your rights and remedies are in this matter (as well as others).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back