Morality Clause trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question before you married your ex- husband did you both share the domicile? If so it would be difficult for him to all the sudden claim that type of living arrangement immoral. He could argue (or his attorney) that there were no children involved, and it led to the eventual dissolution of the marriage.

Also what is the mediators recommendation? I am not really clear on that point.

There is no law per se on cohabitation, there is a wealth of law on what is in the best interest of the children. You present a very stable, loving, good picture of life for the child. He would present a picture of 'immorality'. Clearly the case would depend upon who was more persuasive, and if the the judge agreed with him on the morality of cohabitation. Well then...it would be difficult to predict the outcome of the hearing.

No.. we didn't live together before getting married. He is one of Jehovah's Witnesses and they don't allow that.

The mediator's recommendation was that the clause 'no overnight visitors of the opposite sex' stay in the decree with the exception of family members and step-parents. With the way it was originally written, I wouldn't have even been able to get married without going through this. At least at this point I'll be able to let my fiance live with me once we're married. :) Of course.. that also puts a restriction on anyone else staying the night at our house. What if we have out-of-town guests?

Anyways..... I have an appointment with my lawyer this morning. If nothing else, I definitely want this changed so that we don't have to tell our out-of-town friends that they have to get a hotel when they come visit.

Actually most folks here have a very clear understanding of you.

You agreed to something in your divorce decree, signed it and now that things have changed and you've found a new boyfriend you'd like to live with, don't like this clause about not being able to live together without the benefit of being married.

There's nothing in your divorce decree that says you can't move to a safer neighborhood.

Gail

Not really.. there's more to the story I just don't have all day to type it. Can you just take my word that I'm not that kind of girl? If not, oh well. You are entitled to your own opinion. :)

And while it's true that I CAN move.. it's a matter of money. Nicer neighborhood = much higher rent. Which I can't afford. I'm working on my degree, and after that I'll have a much better job, but until then I'm a bit strapped. And believe me.. I've shopped, and shopped, and shopped.. ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back