1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

month to month rent

Discussion in 'Commercial Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by dsmith46, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsmith46

dsmith46 Law Topic Starter New Member

I have heard that if a landlord accepts less that the full rent in a month to month lease and does not send a late notice or request for additonal rent and allows the tenant to remain than the rent is considered paid in full. Does anyone know if this is true?

2. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

This is not true. If the landlord sends a notice a month later would you think the tenant should be absolved? Basically if you agreed $500 per month and only paid $250, you still owe $250 unless indicated otherwise. I'm not sure as to time periods and rules that may exist in different states but from my knowledge this the month to month agremeent is an enforceable one for the amount agreed.

3. Duranie

Duranie Moderator

Why would you think this is true? Month to month has no bearing on the rent. If you agree to pay a certain amount per month, then that is what you owe and the landlord can sue you for the remainder or take it out of your deposit.

4. calalily

calalily New Member

Maybe the landlord was cutting you some slack and trying to be nice and wait for the other half. No good deed goes unpunished as now you're trying to screw him/her out of your agreed to rent.

5. dsmith46

let me clarify this a little. this is a commercial license for a concession in an antique mall, no t a lease, and this has been going on for two years without a word or written notice from from the mall management. They decided that they wanted to dictate what hours I must operate or they wowuld not renew my license in June. When I taold them that I would move out, they want to keep all my equipment for back rent which they suddenly realized was now due. The manager told me that she did not realize I was behind unti llast month...but didn't say a word until I told them I would move out.

6. dsmith46

please see my clarifing post

7. dsmith46

please see my clarification and see if this is different