Consumer Fraud Money Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlisa

Someone I knew was trying to buy a car under a price. I found them that person. I took a small deposit and gave to seller. Rest of the money buyer wired to seller himself. They never met before buyer and seller. Now, we have problem. Seller promised a car. There was no contract signed. Everything was done over the phone. I referred that seller before and everything was fine. Cars were sold and delivered. Now, he disappeared. We do know his name and address. What can we do now? Can I get in trouble because I am the one who found that seller? And took a deposit? I do have a prove that gave that money to seller. How can we get that money back? It is a lot of money..80 k.
I do have an emails and text messages from the seller he sent before, he was supposed to give him money back since he could not get a car. He used to send me text messages that he is going to fix this mess. Now he changed his phone number. I send him a few email and certified mail. I haven't heard back from him.

Last edited:
You need to call the police ASAP -- you are SOL-- there are so many of these scams and if you sent 80k$ to him- he is outta here -- You better call the cops and file a report-- maybe they have info on this person, I am sure he has done this before.

I'm not sure what you mean by "can you get in trouble", but I am sceptical that the purchaser is going to recover anything from the rogue, and I would not be surprised if the purchaser decided to sue you for that deposit money. You have a receipt from a person who can't be found stating that you gave them some deposit money which they have now absconded with? I don't know how much good that will do you in court.

What kind of fool buys a car for $80,000 from someone they have never met? And wires them the money in advance? Why on earth would you act as middleman in such a transaction?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back