Money never paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpv016

OK i need some help. My grandmother (73) was tricked into buying a car for my cousing. She did this without asking anyone. I say tricked because she was told she would be co-signing and instead is the sole owner. Everything went well for about 2 years, he paid the car from his account. Then the car was stolen, and at that time it was not insured. The bank wanted money. My grandmother had a verbal agreement with my cousin to pay her the $7300 that was left. She put it on a credit card, and he started paying the interest ($150/month). But now he hasnt paid that, and he verbally stated to her, and my husband that he would pay when he received his tax refund check. Now its been 3 months with no money, and no contact. I wanted to know how to take him to court for the money, but my grandmother doesnt want to pay court fees either, and I wanted to do this my self since we cant afford a lawyer. Can I record him on the phone saying that he will pay and use that in court?? And can I go to small claims even though its over $5000? PLEASE HELP!!! THank you

Small claims has a max in your state. If you go over 5k or whatever you state max it you will probably need an attorney. She might want to just settle for the max small claims amount.

She can go ahead and file suit and see what a judge says. If there was a lein on the car, why wasn't there insurance? She should have gotten statements from the bank that the car was not insured, in most cases they will add insurance to it if you cannot show proof.

If your grandmother has proof that this person was paying her for the car and then stopped, she probably has a case to win.

Word for the wise, NEVER buy a ar or co sign a loan for somebody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back