Mom's oldest granddaughter took all my inheritance

Lost in the Law

Jurisdiction
Florida
In 2011 my niece moved in to help with my Mom (age 90) which Mom's Dr said had Dementia, Since then the niece got Power of Attorney & my Mom passed in Dec 2015 & now the niece has taken everything that was to go to me & my sister who passed in July 2015, Our older half sister (her mother) most likely got her part of everything & by everything, Property, Bank accounts which one was started by my Dad in the 70's to be split between us three kids, Jeweler, All the things my Dad left me when he passed in 1988, I got a few things before my Mom passed & the day of her funeral I was served with a Trespass warning so now I can't get anymore of the things from the garage my Dad built, I think my Mom's bank account will tell the main story of all the money the niece spent & kept, I'm own SSI & SS which combined barely pays my bills so money for a lawyer is near impossible until I get what should be mine

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your mom and the conflict about what happened to you. A fundamental question is when your niece had received power of attorney and what it covered. A second is whether there was fraud and a third is how much should have gone to you if there was a wrongful act. Unfortunately if there isn't enough in issue, it would be difficult to find any attorney who would want to obligate him or herself to taking on a case like this. My suggestion is that you call the local bar association and see whether there will be a lawyer who may take your case pro bono or help you navigate what is usually a complicated situation with wills and estates.

Here is the website to the Florida Bar Association. Good luck with your case, wish there was more I could add.

Things like bank accounts can not just be "taken over" by anyone. Your mother would have had to have given your niece the account upon her passing or put her name on it before her death. Same with property such as real estate. It is not clear why items given to you in 1988 were at the house at all. Did you challenge the trespass order?

Back