1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Mom used social for phone account Other Debt

Discussion in 'Other Debt, Collection, Garnishment' started by HaleyM1129, Nov 3, 2016.

  1. HaleyM1129

    HaleyM1129 Law Topic Starter Guest

    I got a credit check done when looking for apartments with my wife, and I discovered the phone account (which has been closed). I am $3500 in debt with the phone company, and the account was open for 8 months with zero payments made. I reported it to the credit bureaus, and they investigated it, and they wanted to keep it on my credit report because it's all under my name. The account manager, after calling multiple people at the phone company, on the account, ended up being my mother.

    I am in the process of filing a police report and pressing charges. I had plenty of issues with her in the past, so I don't need opinions on whether or not I should press charges. But anyway, would it be so bad if I confronted her about it? I've been waiting until I file the police report to say anything, but I'm discovering so many other things that she's doing. Any other steps I should take to getting this done, and what could possibly happen to her after this is all done and over with?
  2. adjusterjack

    adjusterjack Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    The debt is yours until you file the police report. Meantime avoid any confrontation until the authorities investigate and decide about prosecution.

    Any contact you make could jeopardize the investigation.

    As for what could happen to her, there's no way to predict, but whatever happens, she brought it on herself and she deserves it.
  3. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    It's never wise to have any contact with the person(s) against whom you've lodged a criminal complaint.

    In some states such contact can result in you being charged.

    Charged or not, you might end up dead.

    Be smart, stay away from the alleged perpetrator and allow justice to run its course.
  4. txls

    txls Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    If you wanted to confront her, you could have done so before filing a police report. Since you have decided to take that step, then you need to stay out of it and let the police handle it. It's very doubtful that confronting her would have accomplished anything positive.

Share This Page