Mom Passed Away due to negligence

RABSA

Jurisdiction
South Africa
Hi

Last week my mom past away. She was staying in a government hospital for anxiety and was taking medication.
The night before she passed away. she aspirated and had water go in her lungs(the reason for this is unclear still being investigated, (the family and i have no idea why this happened). No staff were present to assist my mom as she was struggling to breathe, by the time the staff came to check up on my mom she had already passed away. We have spoken to a pro bono lawyer to find out if any charges can be made for negligence on the hospitals behalf, the pro bono lawyer said because no one was dependent on my mom including me that no there is nothing that can be done.

I feel as though the hospital is getting away absolutely scott-free without anybody taking any responsibility, i have lost my mother and the hospital just resumes its daily activities with no care in the world and management are able to just cover up everything that gets thrown at them .

Is there anything i can do?

I greatly appreciate any advice given even if its not as helpful as i would like it to be.

Thanks so much in advance.

Ryan

My condolences on the loss of your beloved mother.
This forum focuses on US laws.
We know nothing about laws on other continents.

Back