Repairs, Maintenance Mold and Leaks in Bathroom

adavis

Jurisdiction
Kansas
My roommate and I moved in August of 2017 to our current apartment. Shortly before moving in, a lot happened with ownership of the company which led to the new company using our apartment as an office because they did not know we were going to live there. Because of that, the apartment was not cleaned properly before move in, since they started moving out about an hour before we arrived. We managed to make them clean most of it, but we ended up having to clean a lot of it. We were told they would be back in to clean the mold from the previous tenants from the bathroom by the following Monday. Here we are over a year later, and they still have made little to know effort to clean mold. We clean the bathroom regularly, as well as constantly bother them to come clean it. They are constantly firing managers, so our requests, no matter what format, keep getting "lost." The best we got was a guy who spray painted the ceiling mold, but that has already grown through. Due to the ridiculously poor ventilation (one vent with a fan that literally pours water all over our bathroom on occasion, which took months to get a plumber to look at it and tell us maybe what was causing it, and no windows) it is impossible to maintain a clean bathroom with preexisting mold without an industrial cleaner we do not have access to. The shower also does not drain well no matter how many times we snake it. How we have lived with it until now is unknown. We just want to know what the best course of action is. Do we withhold rent? Is it unlivable?

Why bother?

You've been there over a year, so your lease must be nearing another end point.

Start looking for a safer home, secure one, then simply give your 30/60 day notice you're leaving, or wait until 60 days before your lease ends, give notice and be on your merry way.

These uncaring goons have illustrated their disdain for you by ignoring you and your concerns for over a year.

Fighting an evil, unearthly entity is beyond the powers (and the finances) of mere mortals.

Get out ASAP, while you're alive.

Unfortunately, we are in a two year lease that doesn't end until July of 2019. We signed the lease with the previous company, which was pretty nice, not this hellhole management. We regret the two year lease every day...

Would the solution be similar, even without being near the end date? To be fair, my roommate and I have a ton of patience, somehow, so we haven't looked into options yet, and I am a bit uneducated on them.

If you have a record of your numerous request take this to Housing authority and/or a Tenant/Landlord Attorney for advice. If you have no documented evidence then start collecting it. It would also be wise to start taking pictures.

You can also asked owners if they will terminate your lease early. If they agree problem solved for you.

Back