Mobile Home Purchase Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady13

Signed a contract to purchase a mobile home with an original closing date stated as "on or before 6/2/08". When we made the offer, we were told that it was "time sensitive" because the owner was on the verge of eviction, scheduled for a court date of 6/2/08. The landlord canceled the court date and allowed her to stay. My mom got the funds for us, since we own a home that is up for sale and didn't want to get a loan. My mom is approved for the loan, but is still waiting for the closing documents to come into her bank branch. The branch originally thought she would close within 7 business days and now is saying it could take 30 days. This week will be 21 days as of today. I'm now getting pressure from the park manager and real estate agent. Apparently, the mobile home owner is in trouble with the law, has a court date for next week and may be going to jail. The park manager said she had someone inquire on the mobile home and has the cash now to purchase. She referred them to the real estate agent. If I would have known that the current owner was in this predicament, I don't think I would have proceeded with this transaction. We thought this was going to be a simple transaction and couldn't afford an attorney right now.

Also, if this helps, I live in NJ and DMV handles titile of mobile homes here.

Since we are under contract, I'm assuming that the mobile home can't be sold out from under us?

If the current owner goes to jail, can she sign the title and have someone represent her at closing? She can't use the mobile home for posting bail can she?

Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back