Mistake

C

Crazycrash1

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I cashed a $9.00 check bank gave me $900.00 can they file charges against me even though the bank teller was the one who made the mistake

I cashed a $9.00 check bank gave me $900.00 can they file charges against me even though the bank teller was the one who made the mistake

The bank can report the incident.
A law enforcement agency will investigate.
A prosecutor could then file charges.

Furthermore, ALL banks record each and every transaction.
Don't expect this to be your word against the teller's word.
The video will be the tiebreaker!

What does it feel like to be a thief? To take something that wasn't your? To maybe make this teller lose their job because of this..... I hope they do press charges. So the answer is Yes they can.

I certainly hope you report the mistake & don't keep/spend money that is not yours. Yes, charges could be filed against you.

If the teller did indeed give you $900.00 instead of $9.00 and you knowing cashed check (which you have) yes this could be pursued criminally

Keeping money that was given to you in error, which does not belong to you and which you know does not belong to you, is called stealing. It doesn't matter who made the mistake - you are the one that kept the money. The fact that it was the teller's error does not make it okay for you to keep it, whether you were overpaid by $900 or ninety cents.

Back