1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Misspelled name on SS card. Question about passport, implications?

Discussion in 'Social Security, Disability & Health' started by Farkhanda Sheikh, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Farkhanda Sheikh

Farkhanda Sheikh Law Topic Starter New Member

Hello, I am a naturalized US citizen and have lived in the US for over 2 decades. I just noticed that my last name is misspelled on my social security card. It is correct on my US driver's license and on my passport- which is now expired and I need to renew it. Will the misspelling on my social security card lead to any problems with my passport renewal or exiting/re-entering the USA? Also, how would I fix this problem?

I actually checked and it seems as though my name on my naturalization certificate and my SS card are incorrect. What to do in this scenario?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Easy, immediately go to the nearest Social Security office with your identification and birth certificate and get it fixed.

Then you'll have no problem renewing your passport.

3. adjusterjack

In that case I suggest going to USCIS and SSA on the same day and see who needs what first.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

I suggest you dismiss pursuing this little scheme.

If an internet dummy (that would be ME) can discern what this little ploy is about, the GENIUSES at USCIS and SS will see through this immediately!!!!

5. adjusterjack

Uh, what did you see that this internet dummy (me) missed?

:oops:

6. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Read what he wrote, then changed.

I don't wish to defame the lad, but someone was trying to pull the wool over the government wolves' eyes!!!