Missouri law??? bought a car then i stopped payment on the check

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjohnw

Okay here is what happened...I found a car in Missouri....I live in Tennessee...I drove up there and looked at the car...liked it...bought it with a check in my parents name...they gave me the blank check because I only have a debt card and knew I was going to look at cars....my loan officer at the bank said this would be fine...so anyways I made sure the car had a warranty which it did...3,000 miles 90 days warranty on everything....on the way home the car blows up....I call and get it towed home...the next day I call the car lot....they will not help....they said it's not covered under warranty because during my test drive I was driving the car rough...which I did get on it a little just seeing that it's a good car...anyways my loan officer at the bank told me and my parents to stop payment on the check....and if the car lot fixed my car then pay them...we stopped it...I certified the lot a letter explaing the ordeal they called and threatened me with the fbi lol...anyways...I told them to fix the car or come and get it...which they just continued theating me...well it's been two years now and the car is still at my house in Tennessee...I have called them a few more times and they say they will pick it up a few weeks well it's been about 2 months and still sitting here...my question is can I get a title to the car and sell it...or sell it without a title....with no legal issues

Since it isn't registered to you it will be simple enough to put the car out on the street in a place it shouldn't be and let it be towed away. The legal owner can figure out how to pay the tow company.

I have $1500 of my own money tied up into the car...$500 in a tow bill 400 in storage and a few hundred in getting someone to look at what went wrong with it

Okay how long do I need to wait??? I mean it's been two years...what is considered abandonment?

You aren't going to be LEGALLY able to sell a car you didn't purchase legitimately.
Sure, you have foolishly poured money into it, no doubt.
Unless you can find a sucker willing to pay you $1,000 for the car and the promise of a title to come later, there's nothing you can do with the car, LEGALLY.
You're lucky you were far enough away to keep the seller from filing criminal charges (conversion, fraud, etc...) against you.
Time ha snow passed, and its highly unlikely the dealer will do anything further.
Now, you are seeking to recoup money for a car that you were unwilling to compensate the original seller under your original sales contract, if you're smart, let it go, buddy.
If you "sell" the car to a sucker on CraigsList, it will probably bring you trouble in AZ.
Cats don't defecate where they eat, remember?
Moose, my well informed active deputy sheriff pal, gave you great advice, surreptitiously, cautiously, and covertly get the car to public parking lot, a secluded street; and get the heck outta there rapidly.
Check it out so that you don't see any security cameras.
If you leave the car in the PROPER "'hood", the car strippers will have their naughty way with the beast.
Make sure you remove all vestiges and traces of you in the car.
Then speak no more of this fiasco you managed to escape.

My aged friend (because I am one, too), disagreeable, offered a very clever solution, part the sucker out.
Sell pieces and bits of the beast.
If you go that route, CraigsList might be your communications medium.

You put yourself in this position.
Now you're attempting to find a legal solution to an illegal act.
Keep trying to perfect that desire, and it'll backfire badly.

So what you guys are saying is part the car out for what I've put into it and leave it in the ghetto?

I never advised you to do any such thing.
I said SOME people do just that.
disagreeable said the same.

Want my advice?
I say pay the money you owe to the dealer, and in return for your paying the dealer, he releases the title to you.
Make an honest offer, and request it to be agreed to in writing by all parties.
I say, don't buy stuff, break it, and stop payment on your check after you've broken.
I also wouldn't drive from state to state to "buy" a car that I never intended to pay for in full.
Yeah, you asked, and that's my answer.
That's what I say.

I say put it in a public place as it is and walk away. The tow company will sort things out with the legal owner. The tow company may even get to put a lien on the car and sell or dismantle it.
You can still be held responsible for payment- best to not part it out an cut your losses.

Actually, I said that in another thread where the person was one of two titled owners. It would likely be towed from a public street or lot. Selling pars from a car you do not own is criminal. If abandoned it will be towed and the dealer will deal with the tow lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back